Small Town Livin’

Posted by at Jul 2, 2013 6:00 am

First, I have finally gotten my Leslie Kelly boxed set up and for sale! It’s called Love And Kisses, and it includes all of my self published titles (Angel Baby, Coming Home and Bringing Down Sam) plus the SEAL OF MY DREAMS novella, “Wrapped And Sealed.” ALL 4 of these stories in one volume for only $3.99! That’s less than half of the cost of the 3 novels by themselves, and this is the only place you can get Wrapped and Sealed, outside of the original charity anthology.

BoxSetCover2 (2)

So please check it out if you’re so inclined. It’s available right now (Monday night) for the Kindle and should be live on the Nook by the time you read this Tuesday morning.

Now, on to my post…

This past Saturday, Bruce and I got up at the crack o’ dawn and went over to the community park in our small town for the “Heritage Days” festival. We had arranged to have a booth at the festival, figuring it would be a really good way to promote Into The Woods. We also arranged to have some of the members of the cast come and perform a few songs, in costume.

From the sound of it, this was going to be a super big event. We live about 10 miles south of Gettysburg, right over the Maryland state line, and tons and tons of people are expected in Gburg this week to mark the 150th anniversary of the battle. So the people planning this festival thought there would be scads of them who’d want to drive down to our little burg for some good, old-fashioned family fun.

Well…that didn’t pan out so well. I think there were less than 500 people there throughout the whole day. And most of them left after the greased-pit-catching contest, or the horseshoe competitions.

Yes. You read that correctly. Those were the two big highlights of the day. A poor little pig with a bottle of vegetable oil slathered all over it being chased by 4 year olds, then 8 year olds, then 12 year olds, then teens and adults. God, I hope that pig has a Charlotte somewhere giving him a lot of praise!

That said, it was a really nice event and a gorgeous day. I am really a city person at heart, so it’s kind of strange that I ended up living in this tiny town, but it was kind of nice to see some familiar faces of the neighbors and chat up the show with the locals. It got kind of hot, but we had a tent and battery-operated fans. The kids did an AMAZING job on the songs. They were absolutely fantastic, and people from all over the park, who’d been eating or playing games, drifted over and sat down to listen to them. So hopefully we built a bit of an audience.

PS: Want to see a couple of the amazing costumes my wonderful costume designer has made for me? Check these out:

cinderella and stepsisters

8 thoughts on “Small Town Livin’

Eileen R says:

yes Saturday was one beautiful day here where it actually DIDN’T rain for a change. :angelbanana: so tired of the rain. Those costumes are beautiful! I’m so glad that you had a nice day for this event.

It is nice this morning, it is 59. It is a lot cooler then last year. We were in the hunderd last year.
    Nice costumes. Have a good day

Lody says:

I used to live in the city before moving in the rural country. I still miss the city a lot, but I enjoy the country life as well… and love love those small county fairs.:) I have yet to see greased-pit-catching contest.

Those costumes are gorgeous!

I’m sorry it didn’t pan out.

I live in the burbs. What can I say…it’s more like a small town, but it’s more suburbia.

I did buy your box set already. I saw it on amazon and bought it!

I grew up in a small town and now live in the big city (Nashville). Still love going back for visits, but hate how early everything closes up. We were pretty hot over the weekend, but are finally enjoying cooler temps now.

Love the costumes!!! Bought the set! Sorry there wasn’t a better turnout. Stay cool everyone.

Those costumes are beautiful. I enlarged the picture so I could really see them. Even though the turnout was small hopefully you reached some people that will attend the performance. The people passing through might not be as inclined to come depending on how far away they live.

We were 105 Saturday, too hot to do anything or go anywhere. :(

Jaymy M says:

Yea! Cool boxed set. Thanks for offering at a great price.

LOVE the costumes… can’t even tell they’re sweltering. Almost makes me wish I born in a different time and different social set… almost… While they look amazing, don’t think they’d be nearly so comfy. Makes me wish I lived closer so could see Into the Woods

Great idea to have a event… where I live 500 would be great some days.

Poor piggy.