The Heat Is On!

Posted by at Jul 1, 2013 6:00 am

I live in the Pacific NorthWest — Portland, Oregon, to be exact.  Really hot temperatures are not the norm for us.  In the summer we usually cruise through in the 80′s, and then in August there are a few days that hit into the high 90′s or even 100′s.  Those days are brutal, but expected.

What isn’t expected is mid-90 degree weather in June or July.  Yet here are we are, a week’s worth of high 90′s.  That wouldn’t be so bad — IF we had air conditioning in the house we’re living in.  Normally, we don’t NEED air conditioning, but during these heat waves I wonder what in the world I was thinking to rent a house WITHOUT it.  So, we’re dying and trying to deal with the heat the best we can.  At night, I open up the house and use fans to suck in all the cool air during the night, then in the mornings I  close up the house to keep it cool as long as possible.  Since we live in a two story house, and heat rises, by noon I’m usually down in the living room (where it’s dark and the coolest) with my laptop and a fan directly on ME, and that’s how I keep cool.  Not moving helps, LOL.

If things get REALLY bad, like into the 100′s, I pack up the laptop and spend breakfast, lunch and dinner at our local Panera where it’s cool and the drinks are limitless, LOL!  We’ve lived in this house for five years now, and it’s the same every summer — I’ve learned to deal with the heat, but I honestly HATE it!

So, how about you?  How hot is it where you live, and what are you doing to cool off?

22 thoughts on “The Heat Is On!

I do have a/c in TN. However, hate to give the electric company all my money. I keep my air at one temp and have fans blowing on me. Will also sleep with windows open if temps get below 70 outside.

Suz says:

I could not live without my A/C. I live in Georgia so we’re used to it being really hot in the summer and I refuse to be hot in my house. We’re having very unusual weather this month. Usually we are in the high 90′s but this week it’s only going to be int he mid 80′s. It’s supposed to rain and storm all week so it’s humid as all get out but at least it’s not near 100 degrees.

Yesterday was 102, 104 today and 106 tomorrow. Lake Tahoe was in the 90′s yesterday. And last week we only to into the low 70′s. The a/c in our house runs 24/7. Even though we live in the Northen part of Nevada, we usually don’t have these kind of temperatures until August.

CateS says:

Hot and humid is normal for us — AC and also ceiling fans!

I can relate to your heat!! Here in my corner of northern California it was 105 on Saturday. My apartment is a two story building, my apartment is on the second floor, gets sun all day, no air conditioning. The fans only move the hot air around but they are on most of the day. I turn them off at night but have the windows open. We only have windows on one side so no air flow to cool off better. I will survive but be a grouch!! Yesterday I drank iced coffee, more today! Mother Nature turned the thermostat up much to high. Survival means not doing much, no cooking, move as little as possible. Maybe take a drive in the car which does have air conditiong!!! 8-O 8) Oh yea, I also look at a lot of my pictures at the coast because it is usually very cool when I am over there! :)

Stay cool! 8)

Congrats to the winner. It has been nice here in MO.We are in the 70′s this week and it is so nice. We are more or less in the 90′s and 100ed at this time.

Katie says:

Janelle, come to my house. The a/c’s on (and working, we weren’t sure after arriving home last night).

Glittergirl says:

I live 100 miles south of you and I am with you about the :hot: WE ARE MELTING in Oregon!!!
    We do the same thing at out house, opening up at night, blowing fans 24/7 & closing up tight with the shades down. We do have a heat pump and therefore have air conditioning but we keep it set on 76 to save power and keep the house from getting too hot. I can’t wait for normal weather again but then again this year has just been ODD. Remember we’re 15+ inches behind in our rain year? I’m praying we don’t have a thunder storm to spark forest fires…

Here in Minnesota it’s in the 80′s but without humidity, so we have windows open and fans going to circulate air. Since it’s cooling to the 60′s at night we are tolerating. But I suspect the a/c will be on in a few days. Right now it’s 84. Keep cool everyone.

Eileen R says:

The humidity has finally hit MD and it has been quite muggy. What makes it even worse is all the rain that we’ve been getting from the scattered thunderstorms. ugh! Going through a renovation without AC has been brutal until it came online last week. YAY! I was getting so tired of being tired from the heat. Now I can at least sleep again.

Cindy Hamilton says:

:flamey: :flamey: High 80′s low 90′s in Alabama, I try not to get out to much-love our air conditioning! :waves:

Ann Tracy says:

It’s been in the 80′s here in Wisconsin we can get a lot hotter and I think the worse is still to come I ‘ m just glad it stopped raining we just get over flooding and what happens it rains and rains and so on now we are flooded again. I do have a A/C thank god it help’s so much I have breathing problems so it help’s so much. Stay cool everyone.

Cindy says:

Here in ‘Kentucky’ where humidity is not your friend when you have naturally curly hair. Its muggy and sticky and abnormally cooler than usual in the mid- 80′s our normal temps usually run in the upper 90′s. Air is your friend we actually have had rumble of thunder summer storms last cple days!!

Laurie P says:

I live in the San Diego area, but inland. And it’s been close to 100 for several days, beach weather. Or the small a/c in one closed off room.

Gale Sroelov says:

Eek! It was 115 here today in Southern NV — 117 yesterday — and we are told that even folks who were born and raised here are having trouble staying cool.

We are fortunate enough to work out of our house so staying in helps. And yeah, we have AC — thank GAWD! But this too, shall pass! :hot:

Alicia Jespersen says:

We have been getting 100+ heat here, and I don’t have AC. I’ve been using cold water in a spray bottle and a washcloth with cool water. And lots of fans :)

Alicia Jespersen says:

I’m in Beaverton OR and yesterday it got to be 105 whew too hot for me!

martha lawson says:

Well, for the past few days in Miss. it’s been unseasonably cool for this time of year! Not much humidity, it’s been really nice. It’s only in the 80′s instead of high 90′s and lots of humidity. But here in Miss, you have to have a/c! Mine has been running for months, can’t open the windows, mosquitoes and gnats will tote you off!!

NY has not only been very hot, but very, very wet. I can’t remember the last day it DIDN’T rain. The a/c is on upstairs because of poor air flow with the few windows open and it’s a good 10 or more degrees hotter up there. It was 82 when we went to bed at 10 and the a/c was turned on then. can’t leave the windows open since it’s been raining in them. I can’t breathe when it’s too hot.
    I wish I could send all this rain to those who really need it. We are on constant flood watches now because the Hudson River and Mohawk River and some others are above capacity. There is no where for the water to go.
    Stay safe everyone!

Darnell Davis says:

I live in New Jersey and for some reason Mother Nature has it out for us. It has rain on and off for the last 8/9 days. Of course with so much rain each day, we have flood warnings. Add the high 80′s to the low 90′s temperature and muggy and I am not going anywhere or doing anything. Yes we have air condition but it has been on non stop for the last couple of weeks. I know I shouldn’t complain considering that we lost all of those firefighters (praying for their families), but the Northwest can use this weather system and I hope it changes real soon before any more lives are lost.

Jaymy M says:

Feels like I’m living in hell. :devilbanana:

Texas in the summer is basically the same thing. It’s normally in triple digits in May and stays that way until October/November. April and December in especially bad years can be in 90s. Luck if overnight low is 80 or below. :hot:

Was mild until last week of June. Triple digits. :flamey: AC a MUST. Was 91 at midnight over the weekend.

AC is out at our office so we all currently have 1-2 fans on our desks/work areas — until biz office decide who’s gonna fix it at what cost. Mild today. Actually got down to 73 last night!