No Wearing White Before Memorial Day …

Posted by at Apr 11, 2013 6:00 am

And not after Labor Day. Who the heck thought up these rules? And the better question is WHY? That said, I admit I’ve always adhered to the rules. I live in New York where we have seasons – Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. I embrace each season for what I love about it –

Winter - I love the snowy days where there’s no school, we can all sleep in, and watch the white stuff fall from the warmth of the house.

Spring – The first hint of warm weather means we can get rid of the heavy winter clothes and the clothing that is starting to feel old, ratty and just plain tired. Flip flops, short sleeves, and SUNLIGHT!

Summer – Not so sure what I love about the crazy heat … but I know I can sleep later because the kids are out of school, so … yay!

Fall – My favorite season because of the cool breeze, the smell of autumn, the slightly heavier clothes … I love it.

But along with the seasons comes those pesky rules. Now maybe it’s because I’ve always been a good girl who does what she’s told, and I was always told, no white before Memorial Day and no white after Labor Day. Somehow that no white rule translated over time to no pastels, linen, ultra light colors in shoes or handbags … and I say NO MORE!

Apparently there are “etiquette” websites (I won’t name names) that inform you that you can ONLY violate these rules if you want to be a fashion disaster. Well, we had our first hint of Spring this week – 70 and 80 degree temps for two/three days before it dropped again to the low 50′s with rain. On those warm days, when it felt right, out came my new light pink handbag, pink shoes with white trim, and NO JACKET.

So there.

What about you? Do you wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day? Pastels, linen and other light fabrics?

29 thoughts on “No Wearing White Before Memorial Day …

Eileen R says:

Its funny but I stil refer to those rules too but about other things. Watermelons are best after June 19th, you only eat crabs in the months without an R in the name, you only feed birds from the feeder in the months with an R in the name, and my favorite and my own rule, we don’t listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving dinner is over. :D

Except that they make winter white clothing, esp wool pants. I don’t think I’d be wearing them in summer!!

And we have 5 seasons in NY, not 4- Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and POTHOLE!

Was always told no white after Labor Day, but we started wearing white on Easter Sunday when I was growing up. Not really sure who made he rule, but have always followed it.

Carly says:

My least fav thing is the heat they call “Indian Summer” sorry don’t mean to be un politically correct – when it gets so hot hot after the first chill in Sept/Oct. That messes w/the – I put away the summer clothes – and the whites I might have left out a little longer than the “rule” said!

MJ says:

Yes, I’d always heard Easter, too. I’d forgotten, too–I always look forward to wearing white shoes again!

Yes, yes and yes. I guess I’m just a rebel at heart. :boxer:

Anne says:

White is a mistake for me at any time. Within seconds, it will have a spot or stain.

There is “winter” white which is a creamy sort of white versus the stark white that’s supposedly summer only.

If the weather is really warm I have worn white. I know a few times on Easter I have worn my white capris. But if it is still cold and yucky, I won’t wear the white.

Katie says:

I just use my best common sense and dress for the weather. I am a fashion disaster, but who cares?

I thought it was only ‘no white shoes’. :shrug: I’ve been a fashion disaster for years, and I’m good with that. ;o_)

T. Harrell says:

What year is it 2013, whew I thought it we was still in 1950-60 era. Where we ladies have to make sure we obey by the rules of our mothers mothers. Time have change, now we are women, we work outside the house( not working on our social standing,, making sure our husband stands out). This is 2013, we women are able to use our own mind(not like it was in the old days, we did what we was told), some of us are high power executives, ceos; yes,we still mothers, some we stay at home with our children & love it, some work. We women, had evolve over the years, we speak our own mind, so we could wear whatever we want ( not like it was for our mother mothers) to, when ever. I love pastels, they look good on me, so I wear them all year long. So, each one of us, if you like it buy & wear it, it will make you feel good. When you feel good, then you are happy, forget about our mother mother’s rules on what to wear & when. Just be yourself.

TRICIA says:

I some what follow the rules, No white shoes or purses until after labor day. I don’t own any but I let my Mil and sil know.. lol Since I live in Florida and it’s basically Summer all year long I’m not to picky about white shorts or or Jeans. I wear them all year long, Now white or pastel dress I usually pull those out at Easter and then wear them until September..

Most people would call me a fashion disaster because I don’t give a fig for fashion. I really hate the industry that tries so very hard to dictate what we wear which translates to what is available to buy!! GRRRRR!!! :groan: My clothes are bought for comfort, that is what makes me happy. I wear pink all year but also purple, yellow, orange & red!! Mostly I wear jeans or other easy, comfortable pants. Some look more dressy than jeans! I’m retired so my wardrobe is pretty much very casual. Our weather season starts getting springlike in February, we rarely need heavy coats, scarves & hats! I really laugh at the way some people bundle up when it is in the 50′s outside, that is cool not cold, cold is in the 30′s & below!!! By the way, I almost never wear white as it makes me look terrible! I do wear creams, vanilla whatever off white color you want to call it. Mostly I wear brighter colors because I like them & they make me feel good. So there! That is my ramble about no white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Around this area many people (mostly guys) wear shorts all year long. I say whatever works for you. :D

Carly says:

You all rock. I love this topic and everyone’s answers! :bananaangel:

Jeanne Miro says:

Hi Carly!

I grew up in up-state New York and I don’t remember ever wearing white before Memorial Day. I can still remember as a young girl being so excited when it was finally warming up after a cold snowy winter helping my mother get the boxes of Spring clothing out of the attic and being able not only to wear white but bright colors again to welcome in the sunshine and warmth.

The drapes would be thrown open and finally bright “sunny” colors would be worn but it was an un-written rule that except for white blouse you might finally be able to wear bright colors whites were just “not allowd”!

The rule was “bring in the sunshine and bring on the white” when Memorial Day finally arrived!

Sharlene Wegner says:

I never wear white, so it is a non-issue for me. Those are the rules as I remember them, though! I was thinking about whether it was OK to wear sandals the other day when it was over 80. My toenails aren’t quite sandal ready, so I stuck with my slip on Clarks.

Melissa says:

I was told the saying came from back when people had coal or wood burning stoves. The stoves would give off smoke which would stain white. white. Or something like that.

I raise my hand for the fashion disaster. If I could I would live in jeans, tshirts and flipflops. Luckily, living in So Cal that is exactly what I change into once I’m home from work. A nice shirt and cords are my usual for work so it’s comfort for me all the way. I prefer dark colors (slimming?) so white is pretty much a non issue.

Candy says:

In Kentucky, it is no white before Derby Day (1st Saturday in May) and no white after Labor Day. And my Mom strictly followed this fashion edict!!

Unfortunately or fortunately – whichever way you look at it – once it is spring or even in fall and the sun is shining and the temps are warm (75+) and I want to wear a top that looks great with white jeans/pants/capris, then that is what I wear. And as far as pastels go, sometimes when the weather is dark and dreary and I need a pick me up, I pull out my pastels no matter what the season is. So I am definitely a fashion disaster! Never been caught by the Fashion Police so I guess I am doing okay.

:snoopy: I wear white alot. Summer and winter. I am not one to do what other people do. I like to be just me. You all have a nice day.

Cindy Hamilton says:

I usually wear whatever color I want, I don’t have much white because I just
    can’t keep it clean! :doh1: I like pastels and red.

Osvaldo Lundholm says:

When choosing a wintertime ladies coat try and select a style that may be both casual and also dressy. Whilst this might appear difficult in the first instance with a little online searching in the internet boutiques you should find the ideal garment. It’d be a good idea to begin purchasing the clothes you need before the winter season really comes. After the start of the winter season and the chilly winter weather arrives lots of the recognized brands could well be sold out so jump in early. Winter fashions 2012 for women are present in the on-line and offline boutiques as I write so pick your selections carefully and make sure to be warm and furthermore fashionable.*

Our new blog site