How do you buy?

Posted by at Mar 6, 2013 6:00 am

So some authors and I were discussing the different ways that readers buy books. Trust me, this is a conversation we have often. But as there are more ways to buy books now, the conversation is always changing.

I used to browse the bookshelves and buy books that had pretty covers (after reading the back cover copy, of course.) I was younger then and had quite the disposable income, I suppose. (Not really, but apparently, I didn’t worry much about that.) Over time, as I got more annoyed with giving away books I never read, I got entirely more selective.

Now that I have a Kindle, I’m even pickier. Unless a book is by an author who I already know and trust, I rarely buy a book because of a review or an ad or even a recommendation. I download a sample first. If I ever get around to the sample (I download them all the time!) and I read and have to know what happens next, I order the book RIGHT THEN.

On my Kindle.

Sometimes, this happens at the end of a book. I loved the book so much and I need the next on in the series (or a previous book by the author) RIGHT NOW. So I order it…on my Kindle.

What I mean is, I don’t go to my computer and order it. I do it through my Kindle. I thought this was how EVERYONE bought there books, but after taking a brief survey on Twitter, I learned I was the ONLY one who did that. Everyone else went to their computer or in some cases, used their phones, to order the next book.

So today is a Plotmonkey survey!

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?

I can’t wait to see the results!

69 thoughts on “How do you buy?

MJ says:

I buy digital, but don’t use the links in the back of the book. I have a Nook tablet.

I still buy some print books, but only of favorite authors for my keeper shelf. I discovered while reading Calculated in Death in hardback, I read much faster in digital…plus hardbacks are so heavy. I read on a kindle 98% of the time now. Never thought I’d be a digital girl either. I sometimes use the buy link in the back of the book. Usually head over to Amazon and buy if I’m looking for multiple books from an author. I’m slowly adding backlist books to my kindle.

Eileen R says:

I buy both digital and print. Print books are for keepers I’ve started series before my Nook Color tablet. Don’t use the links at the back of the book. I use review blogsites and Goodreads to get book recommendations. Once I read a book from an author I’ll either go to author website to check out backlist and then purchase them on my Nook. I still get my pretty covers I love so much but it saves so much room because I’ve pretty much run out of bookshelves.

TrishJ says:

I buy both digital or print. I depends on how good the book was if I buy their backlist. If I REALLY liked the book I will check out the backlist AND put the next book on pre-order. I usually use my phone to order ebooks. I read my ebooks on my Kindle. If I buy print books, it comes out of Walmart. Which seriously limits what I buy in print. We dont have a book store so if the book I want isnt available in Walmart and if I want to read a book, I buy the ebook version rather than order the print version.

Anne says:

1. Since I have 2 readers, an old Sony PRS300 and a Kindle, I force myself to buy digital because of the space saving issue. I prefer paper. The big plus to the ereaders is that I can increase the font. Every once in a while you get a paper book with the smallest font. Why?!?
    2. When I bought print, I would buy the backlist if it sounded interesting. Definitely if it was part of the same series I was enjoying.
    3. I go to the computer since I don’t usually have the wireless activated to save battery time.
    4. E-Ink

Julie Leto says:

Print books often have small fonts because the publisher is trying to keep the book from being too thick and to save on the cost of paper, which is very expensive. The longer the book, the more expensive it is to ship, too. There are a lot of factors, but those are the big ones!

• Carly says:

Anne – I can’t even read my own books in print anymore the font is too small! I hear you! And Julie’s reasons are correct! So the more people who write in and complain, the better. Maybe they’ll increase font size!

Pat L. says:

I am new to the ereader world (nook).

I buy more print books believe it or not and if I find a new author, I go for the backlist books.

I buy my nook books from b&n directly.

1. Both.
    2. Both. I order it if it’s out or I’ll pre-order it if it sounds like something I really want to read.
    3. Both. If I’ve just read the book and I want the next one, I’ll go ahead and order it through my Nook. If I come across another book while surfing the web, reading blogs, etc., I’ll order through the computer.
    4. I have a Nook. Well, I guess I should say had. Okay, technically I still have it, but I have to get a new one because my port is worn out and I can’t get it to charge anymore. :(

Carly says:

AWESOME topic!
    1) Digital

Nope. I prefer to buy on my computer. I just find the whole process easier, I can browse at the book in the way I want, then download to the device. The only time I’ll buy from the links on the kindle app is if I’m nowhere near my laptop!

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?

Ipad with the Kindle App – unless I’m in Florida in the sun, then I download to my older Kindle and read on that!

Katie says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    Both, but primarily print.
    Both. I’ll look for the backlist books ( if out of print, I’ll find it used or download it in my iPad). I’ll usually preorder if there’s another book coming up.
    I buy via computer for my kindle app.
    4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    I read on my iPad (I think that’s the question).

BethyA says:

I buy both but if the Kindle price is the same as print, I usually buy the book at Target or Walmart for the 25% discount (allows for more book purchases). If I knew the AUTHOR got more $$ for either ebook or print (can anyone let us know?) I’d purchase that way.
    If I already have a collection in paperback (as in everything Carly has ever written) I continue purchasing that way to keep the collection whole.
    I usually read books at home and use the Kindle when traveling but make exceptions when I’ve got a “new can’t wait for my next trip” story to read!

Paige Nieto says:

1) Usually digital. When I buy paper it is usual from a Mom & Pop store near me as opposed to say B & N (they sell new and used books there so it is the best of both worlds). But mainly digital since I have a regular Kindle and a Kindle Fire.

2) I wait or just look around for their older books. But I have never ordered from the blacklist.

3) I don’t use the links to buy more books I will just use the Amazon storefronts on either device to look up and buy or wish list them. Usually from my device now but occasionally from the computer.

4) Both as mentioned in the first question.

Silver James says:

If I see a recommendation for a new-to-me author, I’ll usually go old school and order from the library. If I really like the author, I’ll go looking for the backlist. If the book makes it onto my keeper shelf, then I’ll buy the backlist for my Kindle.

I have bought books using links from the back (or the front) of the book. I’m learning to put direct links for all my titles in my self-published books for the reader’s convenience.

I tend most to order off my computer because that’s where I am like 14 hours a day. I’m almost exclusively a digital buyer. I have a few favorite authors that I buy both versions–read digitally but the paper version goes in my library. That way, I always have something to read/reread in case of power failure. :rotfl1:

I prefer reading on my Kindle Fire but do read paper from the library. Great topic, Julie. The answers are enlightening!

Suz says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print? Both, in fact for some books I’ve bought the print and digital copy

2) If you buy print, do you order another book by a new to you author from their backlist or wait until their next book comes out? Both. If I really like the author I’ll check out their backlist and see which books look good to me. I will usually try to find them used instead of ordering new.

3) If you buy digital and want the author’s next (or previous) book, do you buy using the links at the back of the book or do you go to your computer to buy? I’ve done both but I usually prefer to use the computer to buy. To me it seems easier.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device? I used to read in the Kindle App on my IPhone but then I got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas so I use it most of the time now.

Lulu says:

I buy print. Even though I have a kindle I prefer print. I love holding n smelling my books. I do both actually buy off the backlist if I like the writing and if the wait for the next book is too long

Danny says:

I buy my ebooks at All Romance ebooks, and my print ones at Bookdepository.com. When I am in the US, I buy the print ones at BAM and B&N. I have a Nook, but can’t buy the books via B&N because I live overseas

Phyllis Towzey says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    All digital (kindle)

NA

Both. Whichever is more convenient at the time.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    Kindle

1) I buy both digital & print, but lately more digital
    2) I wait until their next book comes out, impatiently
    3) I go to my computer to buy
    4) I read on a kindle

Good discussion questions.

Michelle says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    Traditionally, I bought books in print and would “stalk” my favorite authors’ newsletters, online groups or websites to find out when the newest book would be available. My happy day was when I was able to preorder books from Amazon. Now, my books are almost exclusively ebooks, with very few exceptions. I still buy books in print, but only from four authors.

No. But, I may buy the ebook, based on recommendations, reviews and genres I like. I’m downsizing my printed book collection, at home.

Both. I have an Amazon Prime account and if there is an Amazon link at the back of the book, I use it. Otherwise, I simply go online to Amazon and buy the ebook, especially if it’s a re-release of a printed book I already have or another book in a series.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    Kindle Fire (and Kindle for my laptop and smartphone, but I rarely use those versions).

Terri says:

I still buy books, but hardcover only, of authors I’ve collected for years.
    In the digital age I use my kindle to replace paperbacks I used to buy, as i was running out of bookshelf space! I’m an equal opp buyer since I read so much and I have an annoying habit of finishing a book once I start it unless its just so awful that I end up frustrated. I use amazon to make purchases and have a long wish list filled with next in a series or new fave author I’ve tried. I use the links at the back of a book if its a particularly good book in a series that I don’t want to forget to find more on later. I’ve downloaded the kindle app for iPhone but usually keep my kindle with me so I don’t really use it.

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    Digital; print hurts too much to hold with my arthritis (and being able to adjust font sizes helps with my eyesight, too).
    I usually just open the BN shop on my device and browse around from there, or if I switched to my computer to respond to email in the interim, then via the BN website. However, I also read a lot of books in digital form via the Seattle Public Library, and I use my computer to access their website. (They have an app, but the website is much easier to manage.)
    4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    Tablet; I’m using a Nook Color.

Mo says:

I buy almost exclusively digital. When I find a new author I like I will glom onto the backlist and read everything. It is great that many backlist books have been released as ebooks. I read primarily on my Kindle keyboard e-ink but rarely order books on it. I will go to my computer or tablet (Kindle Fire) to buy my books. I also read on the Kindle app on my android smart phone when I find myself unexpectedly stuck in waiting somewhere (bank, dentist, etc.). I love synch to last page read across devices feature.

Julie Leto says:

You read just like I do, except I use buy links on my Kindle. I’m learning a lot…so many people don’t use the links. I never imagined. (I also buy directly from Amazon when it’s a new book.)

1. I only read print at this time. I was going to buy a tablet but now I think I will be buying a laptop. My computer is very old which makes me think a new computer is the smarter buy for me.

2. If I discover a new to me author I will sometimes read back list that I often acquire used! My budget is very limited so I must makes $$$$ stretch.

3. I buy both at brick & mortar stores & online at Amazon. I also use the library a lot!

4. For now it is print only!

Hey Jules, great questions. Hmmm…
    1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    I buy books mostly in print, but if I can’t wait for it to get here, I’ll order it via Amazon kindle store, from my iPad.

I have to order two. How else can I really give them a chance? However, I’m very discriminating. If the title grabs me, I check out that author’s list of books. Then I choose 1,2,3 or whatever is the cheapest.

I usually go through my iPad. I check if there is a paperback version at the Amazon site, but if it’s not there, I check my local book buying haunts, and if it’s not there I order the shook via my iPad.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    I use iBook and the kindle app on my iPad to read digitally.

I hope those answers helped you out. Ok, quick break over. Happy reading everyone! I’ll heck back in later :)

Erika says:

I prefer to buy my books in print, but some of my favorite authors only publish their books electronically.

When I buy a book in print, if I love it and can’t wait for the next book to come out, I will buy from their back list. I typically try to start a series at the beginning, but sometimes I make an error and start in the middle. If I realize I’ve done this, I will start from the beginning.

I use my computer to buy all my e-books. Pretty much always.

I own a Kindle. I love my Kindle.

1.) I buy both. If they are my favorite, always buy authors, I buy the book. If it is someone new but the story sounds interesting, I buy whichever is cheaper. Plus I love finding deals on old books at Half Price Bookstore!

2.) If I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the author, then yes, I have done that. Most of the time I would look around for discounted books, on-line or from the library even.

3.) I have never used the links at the end of an ebook to purchase a book. I have used it to post a review, but 9 out of 10 times I just go to my computer and use that. (I have a Nook and a Kindle Fire HD).

4.) I own the first Nook that came out and a Kindle Fire HD 7 inch. I actually like having both, although you do find more deals with the Kindle.

Quilt Lady says:

I buy books for my kindle through my computer most of the time. I still buy some paper books of favorite authors but usually wait until I can buy them at Walmart, sometimes through Amazon but most of the time at Walmart. No good book stores here.

Diane says:

1) I buy both but more print than digital
    2) I rarely buy a new author but when I do it’s digital and then if I absolutely love, print.
    3) I go to my computer.
    4) Kobo reader so e-ink.

Carly says:

So many of you are still buying print – :cheer: Happy to hear that!

Tanya says:

I buy just about all of my books digitally now, since I have a kindle fire! I buy them through Amazon or Smashwords and use my laptop or a computer to buy them. Great conversation!

Missie Jones says:

As a BIG time reader I do a little of all the above. I Still buy Print of My absolute favorite authors. These bad boys have to be in my home library :D Now I do buy e-books all the time. I read the blurb & I read all the reviews & comments. They make my decision. If a book as a bunch of bad reviews I know not to buy it. I use my desk top & my kindle fire to purchase. Its just according to where I am. In Print if its new, I still look at the cover, then read the back. If I like what I see & read then I buy. Just to let you know….In both e-books & cover’s (I hate to say this) It is still a good cover that catches my eye in new reads, to make me stop & take the time to read the blurb. Hope this helps. Hugs

Cindy says:

I buy both print and digital. Digital I will get a the ones that are free or discounted by authors I haven’t read before. Print books I will but authors that I know well and love to read. I will buy a new author on the recommandation of my favorite authors or friends.

Brenda E Holmes says:

I buy used, I buy brand new, I buy Kindle versions, I buy according to the covers and blurbs,sometimes some really crafty writers have learned that if Brenda bites the lure on the first book,she keeps biting till she has them all which may be why my parking spot is empty because I am spending my car money on books but I rationalize it by saying that you talented writer friends of mine need the money more than that cute car salesman and besides gas is so expensive these days. Hard to fit me into a small box checked on a survey.

Julie says:

1) I can’t remember the last time I bought a book in print!

2) NA ;)

3) I will buy from links in a series on my Kindle, as I read a lot of the time, but usually I will buy other titles from an author on my computer.

4) Two Kindles: the Paperwhite for home reading, the Kindle Keyboard to carry back and forth to work and for TTS and Audible capabilities, a Kindle Fire for Audible more than anything else. My preference is the Paperwhite, but, alas, no audio capabilities there. Oh and my phone for Audible when exercising and cleaning. :D

Rita Luken says:

I buy books for my Kindle. I have auto buy for certain favorite authors. I download a lot of free books, and most are Ok, but once in a while I find a great series and then I start going and grabbing all the older books in that series. I try to do samples but sometimes it just isn’t enough to really be sure. I do check out recommendations by my favorite authors, they have great taste :) I usually buy on computer unless I can’t get to it and then I will use my kindle.

Sharlene Wegner says:

I usually buy print, but sometimes Kindle for P.C. I don’t have a Kindle, but if I did, would probably order directly from Amazon. If I am buying a new author, I have learned to look at their website to see if it is a part of a series, so I can read them in order. I would usually get the back books from the library. I am finding that if it is a new author to me, the book is usually by recommendation of another author or a blog.

Glittergirl says:

I buy both print and digital depending on price. I prefer print as I love books and turning pages, real pages. There’s also the ability to share it with a friend or sell it at a used bookstore to help feed my addiction…

I am author and series loyal. If I find an author I like I will collect her back list usually in paper. I prefer mass market for cost and storage reasons. I go EVERYWHERE with a book in my purse and mass market fits better and is lighter. I really resent the publishers pushing favorite authors to trade size or hardback first. It’s a marketing gimmic and frankly I can’t afford it when I buy over 10 books a week. I check Walmart, Shopko, Target and Fred Meyer for their 25% discounts to save me as much money as possible. I noticed this week that Target is now only 15% discounted instead of 25% so I’ve lost another store. It’s getting harder and harder to find mass market paperbacks in brick and mortar stores. Their shelf space is getting smaller and I’m having trouble finding my new releases… I tend to read a series (as I read exclusively romance) from start to finish (or current release) one right after another. For instance right now I’m reading Larissa Ione’s Demonica/Lords of Deliverance. I’m in #4LOD to be current and I’ve been working on it since January starting from #1Demonica. I’ve interupted the series for several books that were released during that time. I love being immersed in a series and it’s details that way. I did order her series novella’s on my Nook as I came to them in the series reading order as I came to them. I haven’t paid full price for a book in years as I just can’t financially support my “addiction”. I am on a very limited “mad money” budget for books :-). I am VERY author loyal when they get added to my Favorites List though.

Lisa B says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    Both. Depends on price and where i can get it for paper. Paperback is usually a Walmart or Kmart purchase since that’s all we have local. Now and then i buy them in the city or online. Online digital almost always Amazon because i use my change to buy there. I save in a jar all my loose change when i come in from work etc and then take it to coinstar and dump it in their machine and get a Amazon gift card to use. No credit card required.

I get them used from Paperbackswap.com usually if i am getting backlist if they are on there. Otherwise i try the library first to see if i like book 2 then move on from there before buying. IF i can find it.

I always seems to mess it up on the kindle Fire but also i like to read the blurb and excerpt for next book first soooo i go online and do that on authors website then buy it if i still want it.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    Kindle Fire.

HTH

Lisa B

Sharon Duff says:

I buy new releases by my favorite authors from my computer which has Adobe Digital and Kindle for PC. If I really, really like it, I buy a “real” book (as I can afford to) for my personal library. I usually try a new to me author by checking out a book – real or e- – from my library. If I hear or read good things about an author’s first book and, as is often the case, the book is not available at the library, I will purchase it in whichever form I can easily obtain.

Since I have been reading for sixty one years, few of my favorite authors have managed to sneak a book past me. Should this happen – as when I discovered Cindy Gerard had written romance before I discovered her suspense stories – I will find them where-ever I can. This includes used book stores.

I really like that many authors are releasing their backlist as e-books. Makes it easier for me.

Cheri says:

I buy digital. I own an iPad and prefer my books in iBook format. If the book is one of a series, I deffinately buy iBook format because I like the bookshelf feature. I do use the free kindle app for iPad, but hate that kindle does not offer a bookshelf option. I order directly from my iPad and typically pre-order when books are available.

Patty P says:

1) I buy some in print and some for my kindle.

2) I’ve been known to find a new author and then go back and find all the books in that series. I read the last one first…but then I like to go back and read them in order.

3) I do both. I like searching Amazon for new authors/ and Goodreads.

4) My kindle fire

I buy primarily digital. I do have h/c of very certain authors that I buy, but usually end up with the digital copy too. Except David Weber, his Honor Harrington Series is so technical, I need to have the book in hand to flip back and forth with.

I order from my computer, my phone and my Nook or Ipad or Kindle (depending on what I am buying). I don’t use the links, esp on the tablets, because so many times I have the wi-fi turned off and I do it later and dl a whole bunch. My kindle is mostly a digital cookbook at this point. Dining Downloads has so many free ones every day and it’s easy to use in the kitchen.

My daughter stole my Nook when she got home- mine has the back light, so I am using either the ipad or my droid to read on.

Phoebe Conn says:

I have a Kindle app on my Mac, but after writing all day, I don’t want to sit at my Mac and read. I buy paper copies of books for my book clubs and to follow my favorite authors.

BJ says:

1) Digital. Used to think I needed to feel and smell the print copy, but have decided that it is so much more convenient to store books on my Kindle than to have to find shelf space for print copy.
    3) I order both from my Kindle and from the computer. I think it is easier to order from my Kindle but usually do that if I want the next one in a series right then, or another book by the author I’ve just read.
    4) Read from my Kindle.

Lyn says:

I too will be curious to see the results Julie. Will go back and read other’s answers once I’ve done my study.

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    I prefer digital most of the time these days due to how quickly I get the book. However there are still books that I buy in print these days due to not being able to access the ebook if there is one or there being no ebook at all. That issue primarily stems from the territorial rights and some publishing companies (mainly Penquin, Hachette, etc) still trying to apply what worked with print books to digital books. I’m located in New Zealand, which is why I get impacted by the territorial rights.

I do a combination of both – if I finish the new to me author’s book and really want to read some more of her/his stories then I will order books from their backlist – although I will check whether the backlist titles are available as ebooks before purchasing in print. At the same time, though as I work through getting hold of the backlist I will also buy their next books.
    This can also be impacted by how many titles are in an author’s backlist. With an author lick Susan Mallery or Lori Foster who has a comprehensive backlist I will be choosy about which titles I want, where as with someone like Louisa Edwards or Rachel Bailey (Hqn Desire) who only has a handful of books in their backlist then I’m more likely to track down all of the backlist.

Since I use the Sony Reader and I’m still using the PRS-600, I have to use my computer to buy.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    I’m primarily read with an e-ink device, however if I can only get a title through Kindle then I use the app on my phone. I far prefer the e-ink device.

Also, though you didn’t ask, I’m far more likely to put a book on my to read list if I can get a sample or excerpt of the book so I know whether I will actually finish the book.

Marilyn Everhart says:

I am 100% digital. I buy computer, phone or Kindle. I follow the writers websites and try to pre-order as much as possible. I read on my Kindle.

Kathleen O says:

I still buy print books… although I have a kindle, there are still certain books that I want to hold in my hand to read… I share a lot of my books with my cousin and aunt and other friends and we all have different ebook readers.. So print is still the way to go… I love to browse the bookshelves in the books store, but I buy a lot on line from my fav book seller. I love that I can pre-order books online… Then they either go to my kindle or the postman delivers them to my door.. Especially as it is hard in the winter for me to get to the bookstore… the postal delivery person has been very good to me.

Rachel Donovan says:

1) Do you buy your books digital or print?
    I buy digital, I ended up with over 700 print books over the course of 3 years, so I definitely love Cloud.

I will buy whatever as long as the description interests me.

I go on the computer or my smart phone. I prefer to read the description of the next book before buying it, even if I absolutely loved the previous. I’ve run across a few series where one or two are great but then the next one flops, so I’m more careful now and make sure I always read the description first.

4) If you buy digital, are you reading on a e-ink or tablet device?
    I switch between my kindle paperwhite and my windows 8 laptop; occasionally I even revert back to my smart phone but that’s usually only in the morning right after waking up(my version of coffee :coffee: ) if I’ve left my kindle in the living room the night before.

I try out a lot of new authors who offer one or two of their books free for a certain period of time. I love the website ( http://ereadernewstoday.com/category/bargain-kindle-books/ ) they always alert me to discounted and free books. Right now I’m reading ( http://www.amazon.com/Noah-5th-Street-1-ebook/dp/B007GEUY7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1362628940&sr=1-1&keywords=noah ) because it was free and sounded good. I’m half way through and I love it. I’m probably going to be looking at more of her books afterwards.

Marianne says:

I’ll buy a print book ONLY if it is not in ebook format. Otherwise, since I have both a Nook Color and a Kindle Paperwhite, I buy the ebook. And it’s half/half on whether I buy directly through the Nook or Kindle or go through my pc … sometimes I’ll buy those recommended at the end of the book and download right then …. and start reading the new one right then … guess that’s why I still have oodles that need to be read!!! Also, I download books through our library system particularly if it is an author I don’t know … then if I really liked that book, I will download it and the rest of the series.

Charli says:

I’m like you, Julie. If I’m reading a book and have to know what’s going to happen, I buy the sequel right then with my Kindle. :reading:

If I’m on the computer and see a book I need (notice I said ‘need’ not ‘want’?) LOL!! I order it on my computer. I usually buy digital cuz I’m not very patient but also, there aren’t any bookstores in my area any more. :boohoo:

If I discover a new author that I love, I usually add all of her books to my Amazon Wish List and to my ‘To Read’ shelf on goodreads. That way I have them all within easy reach. Then, when I get an Amazon gift card, which is my gift of choice, :D I know exactly what I’m getting!! :winking:

If I do want a book in print, I usually either order it through Amazon or find it on eBay. If I need a book-atmosphere fix, I occasionally go to the library or travel about 30 – 45 minutes to the nearest bookstore. It’s still a treat to go to the book store and I still love the feel/smell of a print book, but I gotta’ tell ya’, I cannot live without my Kindle now. I have one of the original RCA Rocket eReaders and, though it was very limited compared to the modern eReaders, I still love it! I’m on my 2nd Kindle now and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s the older keyboard model and I like it better than the newer ones. I even have the must-have leather cover with built-in book light. Awesomest birthday gift ever!

I also have an iPad that I occasionally read on but I rarely buy books on it. I don’t know why, I just don’t. I’ve also bought books on my iPhone when I couldn’t wait and didn’t have my Kindle with me. (I read on my Kindle or phone the most. It’s awesome cuz they automatically sync to where I left off.)

Well, I hope that answers your questions. :D Hee hee!!

Happy reading… and writing!

Deb says:

Ebooks only. I have an iPad and iPad mini, but honestly I read mostly my phone. I don’t every buy books anymore. I do like to stroll thru Barnes and Noble or Target and see if something catches my eye, but I usually tke a picture of the cover if I plan to buy it. In love having access to my whole library at my finger tips.

Martha mckenna says:

I buy my books through my phone or Kindle. I bought all of the Toni Blake series from the recommendation of this site and Allanah also. I also share books if I can mostly to a retired lady with less disposable income. I rarely login to computer if I can help it. That is my work, Kindle fire and android phone are fun. If I download a preview I read it and almost always buy it. I can’t stand not knowing, drives me nuts.

Bobbie says:

I buy digital only for myself. My husband still likes books, so I do venture into nearby B&N occasionally. I read mostly on my iPad, but have a kindle in my purse that I pull out whenever I have a few minutes out somewhere. I often buy from my iPad rather than kindle, especially if I want to read another book by an author I have just read. I like being able to go to the author page and see what else she or he have written. I just about never buy on my computer because I am rarely on it anymore! iPad’s forever.

Laura says:

1) I buy digital
    2) N/A
    3) I buy new books with my computer
    4) Kindle

Candy says:

1) I buy digital and occasionally a print book if it is part of a series and the print book is cheaper than the digital copy – what is up with that!?!

2) When I find a book by a new author that I like then I research on my PC to find more books by that author and buy the digital copy. I also check their website for any future books and keep a list of new books to come so that I can get them – especially if they are a series.

3)I always use the PC to order more books because I only use wireless to download books to save the battery life.

4)I have both a Kindle Keyboard and a 7″ tablet which I use for reading.

Beth Kaake says:

I buy digital and print (I always look at bookshelves in the stores).
    If I like the book, I will buy a backlisted book until the next one comes out.
    I buy digital from Amazon or B&N – rarely even look at the links for books in the back.
    I have an iPad with iBooks, Amazon, B & N, and Kobo apps. I also have AMAZON and Nook on my Droid phone.

And I carry iPad and cell phone all the time plus I have a print copy in my “bag” too.

Jeanne Miro says:

Hi Julie –

I have a Kindle but I’ve always gone directly to Amazon to download the books I want.

I was under the impression that you had to have WiFi available to be able to do it directly from your Kindle to do wirelessly.

Does anyone know if that’s true or if I was given the wrong information?

ronnie cornett says:

I buy my books on kindle cause I get them quicker…but if I like to reread a great book I get print ! :cooldance:

I buy digital. My DH buys me print books for Christmas/birthday gifts.

If I want more books by the author, I’ll use the links at the back.

I have both a Kindle and Nook Color. I buy books directly on the devices. Tap-tap and I’m ready to read.

Nikki H says:

I usually buy digital, but occasionally buy print. I usually buy through my computer, but LAST NIGHT, for the first time, I bought through my Kindle because I was already in bed and didn’t want to get up to go to the computer.

:coffee: I buy books for my nook and still by books in paperback or hardback.
    I by books for my nook off the computer. I have never used the ones in the back of the book. I still like to hold books. :flag: :flag:

Lori kupstas says:

I have been a paperback/hard copy person forever. I now buy my favorites in paperback/hardcover for keepers and digital for everything else. I own a kindle and download books daily. Mostly through amazon e-mail. Sometimes through links. I’m tending more toward digital as storing my thousands of books is becoming an issue. Thank God for the cloud

I completely concur with your ideas on the subject above. Excellent Post, keep up the fantastic job. shoe lift for men http://www.deelsonheels.com