Do You Downton?

Posted by at Feb 12, 2013 6:00 am

So, who here is into Downton Abbey?

I was a late convert. I’d heard lots of people talking about it, so when I saw a special on the Seasons 1-3 DVD set for Christmas, I grabbed it off Amazon and gave it to Bruce as a gift.

We started watching it a couple of weeks ago and zipped through the first two seasons. It’s taken us a bit longer to get through 3, but we’re now pretty well even with what’s airing on television.

I absolutely love the show, particularly because of the brilliant performance by Maggie Smith as Violet. I’m a big fan of the Mr. Bates/Anna romance, but I have to admit, I HATED all the “in prison” storyline of season 3. It got really old, really fast.

I love to hate Thomas. Just plain hate O’Briann. Adore Carson. Can’t stand Daisy. Love Mrs. Hughes and the lady cook. As for the family, I want to smack the earl upside the head with a frying pan…I really liked him in season one but he’s become such a jerk. That flirtation with the maid really ticked me off and he’s just been so pompous and overbearing in S3. I really like Cora–nice to see Elizabeth McGovern working again. I thought Sybil was the only nice daughter–her storyline didn’t thrill me, and I’m not just talking about this season. I loved seeing her blossom and go to work in the hospital, but never totally bought the romance with “the chauffeur.” I dunno, I just never warmed up to him and certainly never saw her throwing away her entire life for him. Then, of course, she really did lose her life–so sad!

Edith has grown on me. I hated her in S1, but I have really come to like and admire her. She’s Jan Brady, but she’s not nearly as whiny about it.

Mary…BLECH. But oh, I do love Matthew.

So what about you? Anybody else totally into Downton?

PS: Sunday night, when The Walking Dead came back and a bunch of my friends were talking about how they had to choose between that and Downton, Bruce suggested a new mashup. “Walking Deadton Abbey”. Can’t you just see Violet and Isobel squaring off against zombified Thomas and O’Brian? Snort!

12 thoughts on “Do You Downton?

I love Downton! I picked it up after the first season aired, so watched the first season on Netflix. Missed the final 3 episodes of season 2, so played catchup on Amazon instant streaming before the start of season 3. Can’t believe the finale is this coming Sunday.

I agree with you about every single character. It’s a shame we have to deal with so much Mary just to get time with Matthew. I love Maggie Smith in this series and think she gets some of the very best lines. So glad they secured her for next season.

Betty says:

Haven’t really gotten into Downton but am watching the Homeland series I had DVR’d this past year. Liking the ability to watch several back to back- wish I could do that with new book series!!

Katie says:

I haven’t had a chance to watch it, but I have all of the DVDs. I’m hoping to get to them this summer.

Anne says:

My parents love it (especially my dad), but I haven’t seen it yet. Not sure why since I usually get sucked into watching many of the other Masterpiece historicals.

jcp says:

I like Edith the best

I have never watched it! Glad you are enjoying it.

Wish I hadn’t read the post. I am about 3 shows behind and haven’t had time to catch up.sigh. :angryred:

Les, I haven’t gotten into Downton, but I would totally watch the mash up between it and The Walking Dead. Bruce is a genius! I’m actually surprised I hqvent joined the bandwagon yet. It’s right up my alley. I will have to catch up one day. When I do, I’ll probably kick myself.

Peace andlove,

Kathleen O says:

I finally caught up on all the episodes. I just watched two seasons on DVD and then PVR’d season 3. I am really enjoying it.. Mr. Barrow was on a English Soap I watched called Coranation Street, and he played a real good guy and now he is playing a real SOB and I kind of dislike his character on Downton, but he plays it so well… I can’t wait to see what happens next…I am a real convert…..

Kimh says:

Yes I love it, so sad Cybil, like her husband, and littlebsybil so cut

Jen B. says:

I love Downton Abbey! But, your idea of mashing them up would save me time each week! Lady Cora as a zombie. Can a zombie be soft spoken and raise an eyebrow as a means of communication? HAHA!

Gigi says:

I love Downton Abbey.
    I got the first and second season early last year.
    My daughter pre-ordered for Christmas and I got season 3 when it was released in January.
    I Have seen the whole season an am now re-watching as it airs on PBS.
    Everyone should read the real story on Highclere Castle and Lady Almina.
    I believe the writer used a touch of the real family history in the writing. Like making the castle a hospital during the was that really happened.
    Inveraray castle in the 3rd season Christmas special is just gorgeous. It looks to be right out of a fairy tale.

Maggie Smith’s Violet is my favorite character. I had heard she wanted out of the show but thank goodness she made it through season 3.