New Adult

Posted by at Feb 6, 2013 6:00 am

Okay, so there’s a new genre of book out there now called New Adult. Heard of it? I’m not an expert, but from what I gather, these are books where the characters are in college. It’s the transition between YA (young adult) and fiction, usually romance, because from what I’ve heard, the books usually deal with some kind of boy/girl relationship.

Using this definition, I did read books like this a while ago, before the term New Adult was coined. I recently (yesterday!) had a chance to read a NA proposal that I adored. I loved the collegiate setting, yes, but it was the writing that won me over. I can’t say any more about the book because it’s unfinished and unpublished, but it was awesome.

So…have you heard of this New Adult genre? What do you think? Would you read them? Have you?

17 thoughts on “New Adult

Good morning, Jules! how’ve been? it has been far to long…missed you lots. I’ve been flying low. Another genre to explore…hmmmm. I hadn’t heard of New Adult, but it makes sense. The book world’s trying to grow with its readers. Great strategy. I would try them, granted the title grabs me right off the bat. How new is it? Are there books out there now? You know what, some of Diana Peterfreund’s books could it in this model, right? I’ve read her books…does that count as a ing read NA?

Haven’t heard of the category itself, but have come across some. It’s not a category I would go out and read myself. I do read some YA still, so it’s probably just a hang up I have. I like contemporary, but more established characters- jobs, etc…

For me, having been married right out of HS and part way thru college, I just don’t see a majority of those types of relationships making the long run, and I prefer my stories with HEA’s I know can be a reality.

But that’s just me.

Eileen R says:

no I haven’t heard of it. as long as it has an interesting blurb to capture my interest I will give it a look.

Carly says:

New Adult is 18 – 25 – I don’t read the 18 … but I will read the out of college books in this genre!

Carly says:

By the way and I COULD be wrong, and correct me if I am on this, but New Adult encompasses 50 Shades, On Dublin Street, that category of erotic romance that hits that age group, is also predominantly defined by first person POV but not always, and has for a writer, more freedom and less rules, as does life or as life is perceived by women of that age.

Anne says:

I’ve heard of it and read a book that was proclaimed to be New Adult. Unlike Carly’s comment about 50 Shades being part of it, I thought (and the book, title escapes me, reflected this) was that the sexual content was more than YA, but less than erotic.

As long as the story sounds good, I will read any genre. I was in my late 20′s, maybe early 30′s when I read Bunnicula (a child’s book for those who don’t know) because it sounded fun. It was worth the 15 minutes it probably took.

I’m with Carly on some of the books included in NA books. I didn’t think I’d read any, but I guess maybe even J. Kenner and Raine Miller would be in that category. The ones I’ve read have been really well written and very sexy.

Katie says:

It’s like 50 shades? I guess kids these days are far more mature than I at that age. B4 Carly mentioned that, I was going to say I would b/c I still read YA b/c it’s fun to have some variety in my reading. Hmmm. I’d give it whirl.

Julie Leto says:

I’m no expert…but there’s a range of the VERY adult NA (like 50 Shades) and then a NA that is more “normal,” LOL, in that it isn’t necessarily erotic.

Paula, yes, I think Diana’s books fit into that category to some degree…of course, they were ahead of their time!

Haven’t heard of it, but I’d read it if it was a good story.

I have not heard about this category. I would probably not seek out books in this genre but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t read one. At my age 18-25 year olds don’t interest me as much as other age groups. I have often wished there were more books featuring more mature adults. There are a few here & there but I have seen many of them. Sometimes I think the world pays to much attention to the younger people & not nearly enough to those of us that have had more experience with life. Julie, thanks for bringing this to our attention. :reading:

Sandyg265 says:

I’ve heard of it but haven’t read any yet. I look for stories that interest me rather than worrying what genre they’re labeled as.

I have never heard of New Adult and come to think of it I don’t think I have ever read a book on any genre where the character(s) were in college.

It seems like an interesting concept/theme and I would love to try it out.

Maria Esquivel says:

I read a couple indie authors books under the New Adult. I think the only difference is that it’s more detail towards the romantic scenes but not like fifty shades. Oh but the ones I have read have taken me through an emotional roller coaster.

Sharlene Wegner says:

I’m a little old for “new” adult. LOL! That being said, I recently read a book called Decked with Holly, by Marnie Bates, that sort of fits the category, age-wise. It was a really cute book. However, probably a little too young for me.

Michele L. says:

Yes, I have heard of it and have read some of the books. This catagory has been around for a while. The Barnes & Noble near me has a whole YA section and the covers are really fantastic! The books I have read were really good and I am 52 years old! Some you can tell are geared for the younger crowd but some are totally entertaining for all ages. The genre that I am really into right now is Urban Fantasy. I loved Kat Richardson’s Greywalker series and other authors too.

Nicole M. says:

So I have missed a few weeks being here and now there is something called New Adult. My oh my, where have I been. Lots to catch up on. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!