Historical Eras

Posted by at Jan 22, 2013 6:00 am

I have been on a real historical fiction/nonfiction kick lately. I can never say why something is going to capture my interest, but I will suddenly go through a bunch of books around one time period or point in history. A couple of months ago, it was the Tudor dynasty. I must have read 15 books, fiction and non, set in that period. Then I had this whole White Chapel/Jack the Ripper thing going on. (Just watched the first episode of Ripper Street, by the way, which was really good!) Then I read a really good book called The Physician, which led me into some good medieval romances. And, the past couple of weeks, after I watched a really interesting documentary on the Jonestown massacre, I started reading about the whole 60′s-70′s era. (No romances novels, though, I’ve never seen any of those, have you? I think the 60′s era might make for a really cool historical romance!)

Just wondering, anybody else ever just get really caught up in a specific time period and want to read nothing but books set in that era? Any to recommend?

10 thoughts on “Historical Eras

I get on reading kicks for historical romances. I’m not good with knowing exact time periods. Love Tessaa Dare’s books and have totally fallen for Maya Banks’s Highlander books.

Eileen R says:

I knew I use to for the longest time. I pick a topic and read all about it, fiction and nonfiction. I’ve read all about the Civil War, Vietnam and our American Presidents, specifically Abe Lincoln. Funny how I no longer do those reading jags. LOL Now I stick to romance novels. :batteeyes:

I know the Phillippa Gregory books are great (I haven’t read them, though, my mom likes them) Have fun!

I tend to mix it up a bit in my reading. I might read a few historicals and need a change so I will go to either contemporary or a romantic suspense.

Hi Les, I have glommed time periods. The Victorian era is one of my faves, the regency and medieval times are another. I go in phases, but when and if it gets too emotional I start a lighter read.

sharlene Wegner says:

I’m with Liza – I love historical, but don’t pay attention to the time periods, but I don’t like most of the medieval books – too dark. I also mix it up with contemporary romance. I’ve been reading some cowboy books by Carolyn Brown & a historical series by Samantha Grace in the last few days.

Patoct says:

I basically read all contemps and an occasional western historical. So can’t help you out there.

I did however this month read all of Shannon Stacey’s Sullivan series – it is great reading about a big family because the series continues and continues. Enjoyable reads.

:coffee: I love mysteries and westerns. Love Linda Lael Millers westerns. Then I chang to something also for awhile. Just love to read. :flag: :flag:

I don’t read many historicals which means I don’t tend to get hooked on a specific era. Mostly I prefer contemporary romance or novels. It is really hard for me to consider the 60′s as historical!!!!!! :D I was in my 20′s then. I don’t really want to think of myself as historical!!! :lol:

Laurie G says:

I went to grade school in the 60′s. I think of the Cold War with the USSR and espionage. (bomb shelters, GORKY PARK, Leon Uris)

I remember hippies, “Make Love Not War” slogans, free love, the birth of communes , THE BEATLES! and their influence on music, the birth of classic rock, WOODSTOCK. Drugs and rock star deaths, Jimi Hendrix, Mama Cass, Jim Morrison, and Janis Joplin

Vietnam

Scandalous books Jacqueline Suzanne’s Valley of the Dolls and Peyton Place (I can’t remember the author) was made into a TV series.

Camelot and the Kennedy’s and their scandals and tragedies.

Color TV