On a series kick . . .

Posted by at Jan 21, 2013 6:00 am

Recently, I’ve been on a series kick . . . Not BOOK series, but TV series.  In the past month or so I’ve watched all five seasons of Sons of Anarchy (LOVE!), watched all 2 1/2 seasons of The Walking Dead (GREAT!) so I’m ready for the new episodes coming in February, and also watched the entire second season of the American Horror Story all in one sitting (except for the last episode, which will be out this week).  I have to say, that I definitely preferred season one of AHS over season two, which had way too many WTF moments!

Anyway, just like reading series of books back to back, I’ve come to love watching TV series episodes back to back and I’m hooked on watching new-to-me series that I’ve missed.  I know I have to carve out 12 or so hours of free time to watch an entire season, but it’s so awesome to watch everything in a series unfold in ONE DAY, instead of over the span of 12 or so weeks.  You can really see the plot, the characterization, and things tend to make more sense when you watch a season of a show all in one sitting.  I’m definitely hooked on it!

So, I’ve been contemplating getting the True Blood series but they are already into their SIXTH SEASON.  That’s a lot of shows, LOL.  However, if it’s worth watching, then I’d like to give it a try.

So, who watches True Blood?  Would you recommend watching the series?  And is there any series that you watch that you LOVE that you’d recommend me watching?

28 thoughts on “On a series kick . . .

MJ says:

Justified! And Downton Abbey. Those aren’t too overwhelming. Supernatural is good, but I think this is its 8th season.

Patoct says:

I watch it on and off; I had watched it all the time but then they brought a storyline (which is now done) where the younger brother cop infiltrates the mob. I cannot watch stuff like that anymore. Since then I have been watching most of the shows if I am home. Strong sense of family and honor. And I love Tom Sellick – he is an old fashioned man, man of old fashioned values from what I hear. Ted Danson spoke very highly of him on The Talk. So yes, I would give it a try.

Wrong show. She was talking about True Blood, not Blue Bloods. I love Blue Bloods though, it is must see TV here. And you can go back to it, the line didn’t last long, although it does pop up again once or twice until it ends.

Mica says:

The first three seasons of True Blood are okay, but after that it just goes downhill. Watch Homeland and Breaking Bad and Justified (season two is great). I did marathons of all of them. I think I like watching tv this way rather than week to week for the reasons you mentioned!

Diane says:

I watched 3 early series but never went back, same with Dexter. I did start Bones a month or so ago and got hooked so I asked Santa for more and now I have all the Bones,really enjoying them.

Silver James says:

I agree with the general consensus on True Blood. The first 3 seasons were pretty good but then it just got…weird. Okay. I know that’s a misnomer but yeah. I sort of feel like it jumped the shark starting with the 4th season. I watch some fan favorites: NCIS, Bones, Castle. I also enjoy Haven on SyFy. It’s weird in a good way. My other favorite series, and one I bought the first two seasons of on Blu-ray is Lost Girl on SyFy. This is a Canadian series about the fae living hidden among humans. Bo, the “lost girl”, was sent into the human world as a baby and raised human. When she came into her powers, it was…bad! She now walks the line between light and dark fae. It’s dark and gritty and I really like it! It’s just started season 3 so not too hard to catch up on. Oh, and one more. Game of Thrones. I couldn’t read the books but I really have enjoyed the series so far. I think it will be season 3 when it starts up again?

You and I do watch the same things, don’t we? I adore Haven and Lost Girl! I didn’t realize Season 3 of Lost Girl had started. Will need to catch up on On Demand!

I second the Haven and Lost Girl. Lots of great stuff on there. Awesome characterizations and interesting stories.

Castle.
      *sigh* Amazing sexual tension.

Quilt Lady says:

Never have watched True Blood but I love Suits. You need to watch it from the beginning though.

I’ve wanted to watch “Revenge”, “Downton Abbey” (own all of the dvds, so I can do that) and “Suits’. I just need time…crazy. First I have to clear out my dvr so I can justify it. CRAZY.

TRICIA says:

My hubby and I just discovered Criminal Minds. How did I miss this show????? Thank god for reruns, I have been able to watch it on 4 different stations. I DVR them and then watch them in air date order…..

True Blood has jumped the shark so many times, I got rid of HBO. I’ve heard nothing but wonderful thing about Homeland, and even have the first season on DVD. Just have to find time to watch it. Love Downton Abbey and only in 3rd season right now. My favorite shows are NCIS, Bones, Castle, Big Bang Theory, and HIMYM.

Joder says:

True Blood still entertains me but not near as much as it did the first two seasons. I still return to watch it though so that must say something. Spartacus on Starz is AWESOME and will be starting its final season this Friday. I definitely recommend it. Being Human (both the Brit and American versions) is a good choice too. So glad you got on the SOA bandwagon as that show continues to shine. The season where they went to Ireland was a bit lame but all the others were amazing! And The Walking Dead speaks for itself….I LOVE IT!

Connie Fischer says:

OK. I am hiding under the table now because I will probably have rocks thrown at me. I’m not big on vampires so True Blood would not be my cup of tea. Sorry!

Glittergirl says:

I read romance book series that way…One book after the next without other book interuptions. I love to do that. I did it with Christine Feehan’s Vampires and caught soooo much that I would have missed. Sometimes though I have to take a break after 3 books and read someone else’s book and then go back. I don’t have recommendations different that those above but my favorite series is Big Bang Theory, but after about 3 in a row I’m ready for a break, lol.

Donna says:

My kids love True Blood never saw it. Also love Criminal Minds but have to stop after so many the killings get to you. I like Rizzoli and Isles, hooked onArmy Wives,like Sulliban and Son and Shameless…

Donna

IF you have read the True Blood books and watch the show, you have to be able to separate the two. Otherwise it’s just impossible to watch at all.

If you haven’t seen it, I also recommend Necessary Roughness, Burn Notice and Royal Pains on USA. Season 3 will be starting shortly. Then there is Army Wives and The Client List on Lifetime. Client list will be starting season 2 shortly. I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, but really do enjoy it!

I like Army Wives. The latest release just appeared in my queue on Netflix. I also love The Good Wife, NCIS. Blue Bloods, Nashville & way to many others!! I love watching Army Wives on the DVD’s. Homeland is on my list, really looking forward to starting to see it because of all the things I keep hearing. Did I leave out Castle?!!

:flag:

Phyllis Lamken says:

I just started watching the first season of True Blood on dvd. But I have to find private time to watch it. There are a lot of nudity and sexual scenes. I am not a prude, but I don’t want my 13 year old seeing it. Even worst my 19 year old son would be embarrassed to find me watching it. I am really enjoying it when I get a chance to watch it.

Kimh says:

Psych,

Renee P says:

I’m almost finished with the 1st season of Homeland and it’s amazing!

Caffey says:

I never watched True Blood. I did watch Moonlight back to back since they took it off after one season :boohoo: When we had no DirectTV in December I watched many of the Desperate Housewives since I didn’t see from beginning so I’m enjoying that. I’m not much of a TV person but usually don’t watch the current Drama shows but looking forward to Dallas at the end of this month! Oh and too going back to watching Downton Abbey from the beginning.

Martha mckenna says:

I read the True Blood books and watch the series. I love both, totally hooked. Last season was not the best, but great cast. I also enjoyed Game of Thrones. :-)

Beth Kaake says:

I watched the first 2 episodes of True Blood but could not get the books out of my mind. I spent too much time trying to figure out who was who that the show was ruined for me. So I quit watching and just read the books.

Anne says:

True Blood, particularly if you like the book series, is a bit of a train wreck. I actually liked season 4 more than seasons 1-3. In seasons 1-3 there were usually 2 storylines and I hated one of them each season. I’d recommend getting it at the library instead of buying. I love Dexter. My sister recommended Haven and I watched the first 2 seasons and liked it but didn’t see why she liked it so much. Gotta say though, it has GREAT cliffhanger season endings.

Leslie Kelly says:

Definitely agree with you on AHS. I was a huge fan of the 1st season but the second has just left me see-sawing between love and hate.

I also just got on a Downton Abbey jag. Got Bruce the 1st 2 seasons on DVD for Christmas and we’re almost finished season 2. We’re taping the 3rd so can go right into that.

And here’s another big thumbs-up for Justified! A fabulous show!

Tammy Y says:

Justified. I have seen every episode. Great show. Love Raylen. Also, just started watching Homeland. So far, I like it. Damian Lewis is fantastic. He was also in Band of Brothers.