Sexy vs. Erotic

Posted by at Jan 7, 2013 6:00 am

Whenever I have a writing related question to ask, I know I can count on our jungle dwellers to provide insightful answers and information.  This next year I’m going to be trying something new writing-wise.  I’ve always written very sexy books, but I’m venturing into the erotic realm.   I’m writing a new series called “The Marriage Diaries”, an erotic series of books about a married couple who take intimacy and passion to the extreme.  These books will include erotic situations, kink, and will explore fetishes — between a couple who’ve been married for over 18 years (they’re in their late 30′s, having gotten married right out of high school). Their two sons are grown and off at college, and now they’re both at a point in their marriage that they want to explore more, sexually.

The first book is titled The Awakening, the second is The Seduction, and the third is The Taking.  Obviously, the titles will relate to the stories inside each book.  Here’s the cover and banner for the special “Marriage Diaries” page I’ve made on Facebook.

Each book in the series will include sexy, erotic scenes between this couple (who have a very strong, emotional, loving marriage), but things will be very explicit.  More than anything I’ve ever written before.  I’m really excited about this new series, but I do have a question for you all . . .

When an author crosses into different genres, do you like it when they keep the same name, or do you prefer they use a pen name for the different genres that they write in, so you know what to expect content-wise with each name? I’m just wondering if I should write these books under “Janelle Denison”, or will my regular readers be shocked and put off by the erotic content? Should I take a pen name for the more erotic books? I’d really like to know how YOU, as a reader, feel about this!

And if you’d like to learn more about The Marriage Diaries, you can “like” my Facebook page, where I’ll be posting information, updates, and release dates! Click here: THE MARRIAGE DIARIES FACEBOOK PAGE

*****
Carly Here - PERFECT FIT Blog Tour week 2! Another Carly Interview, another CHANCE TO WIN BOOKS! (Serendipity, Destiny or Karma) Visit ROMANCE BOOKS 4 US to read the interview and find out how to enter!

24 thoughts on “Sexy vs. Erotic

Lyn says:

I prefer when authors stick with just one name for all their books – there are too many authors that I read already without having to remember that “b” author is also “c”, while “g” is also “h”, and “x” is also “y”, and so on. I’m sure you understand what I mean.
    I know that there are some who would say that having different pen names for the different types of books makes it easier to know what to expect, but I think it is still possible to show what type of book it is either by placing an indication in the blurb or adding to the title eg The Awakening: An Erotic Novel or maybe The Awakening: An Erotic Outing. Personally, I just see erotic fiction as another part of the romance genre anyway, so I don’t have a problem with having the same name on all works.

Also, don’t know who you are getting these published by or whether you are self publishing them, but I do know that if I see a book published by Samhain, Ellora’s Cave or Loose ID, I’m more likely to expect the book to contain explicit content. I’m sure that there are some titles that they publish which are not so much at the erotic end of the spectrum, but I haven’t come across them or read them yet.
    Sorry for the slightly long response, its 12:30am here in NZ, and I seem to be wordier when I’m tired.

Hi, Lyn! Yes, the cover does have the tagline “An Erotic Novel”, so hopefully readers will see that and realize what they’re getting. And I’m self-publishing them.

I say write the under your name. You already write sexy books, so adding an erotic element shouldn’t shock your readers at all. I do think they should be marketed as erotic romances so those who don’t enjoy that genre know ahead of time.

Can’t wait to read this series!

Lisa B says:

i saw keep your name. If you use a Pen name you have to start all over promoting yourself. I like the idea for your new books. I read a erotica book this past yr that was a married couple and i loved it! Can’t wait to read yours.

Lisa B

Patoct says:

Keep your name; it keeps it simple.

Katie says:

I agree with Lyn. If I see a book from certain publishing houses, I know it’ll be “erotica”. I like the idea of putting “an erotic novel” or something like that in the title.

Carly says:

So glad to see you’re all (so far) agreeing with me LOL!

Keep your own name! I know I am more apt to buy something from someone familiar than to take a chance on an unfamiliar name.

readerdiane says:

I think you should keep your last name but use just your first initial, that way you keep your audience but we know to expect something more.

Maybe you could do a Janelle Denison writing as… It doesn’t matter to me if the name changes. Your explanation is enough for me to know the books aren’t the same heat level as your Wilde books or any other book you wrote.

Carly, I will try to stop by later. Gotta get to work :)

My vote goes for keeping your name. I think by now most readers are smart enough to be able to tell if they want to read a book by doing just a bit of research. The books sound great. :thumbsup: Hopefully by the time they are out I will have my tablet!! Keep us posted. 8)

Tina S says:

I say keep your name and be proud! I can’t wait to read the steamy books.

cates says:

Keep your name… between the cover art, blurbs, etc.. people should be able to decide if a book is to their taste..

Gigi says:

Keep your name. :cheer:
    You have always written very sexy books. I have a feeling that your erotica will be great. As long as the blurb or cover lets folks know what is between the covers I see no problem at all.

monica t. says:

Hello Janelle, and thank you for the coming books in advance. I would love for you to have another name. Good business decision if for nothing else, and with a new “name” you could really cut loose in whatever you want to write about. Adds a bit of mystery to the writings as well as to yourself as the writer of this new journey for you. Pushing the creaqtive envelope is a good thing. Please don’t deny yourself. :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :hothot: P.S. I am currently reading two of my fav books of yours featuring the Matthew Sisters and I still love it.Tempted and Seduced. Laters. Monica T. :yourock

Alina D says:

Hi Janelle! I have to agree with everyone else and say you should keep your name. Loyal readers will buy it and enjoy it no matter what name you put on the cover but I think keeping your name makes it a bit easier. I tend to have to look up my favorite authors when they change their names for different books, when if it was their real name I would know the moment I saw it.

Can’t wait to read the new series!

Barbara Elness says:

I have to say I’d rather not read erotica, so having it come out under a different name would work best for me, so that I know what to expect when I see your books.

Keep your name so I know where to find your books.

Bobbie says:

I like knowing who I am reading, and I love erotic. Great premise and can’t wait to read these.

Laurie P says:

Keep your name. If someone doesn’t like the erotic nature of the book they’ll put it down. I read just about every level of book, so erotica wouldn’t bother me at all.

:partygroup: Keep your own name, I can not keep up with 3 or 4 names. I forget who is who. :coffee: