Holiday Project

Posted by at Dec 11, 2012 6:00 am

I am sure you all know by now that I come from a pretty theatrical family. Bruce and the girls and I all love to act in plays and to sing. In fact, I was just cast in a show with my youngest daughter–The Women–in a community theater production. I’m super excited to be doing it with her, and with some great friends.

Anyway, it’s not just my immediate family who loves to perform. I grew up standing around the piano, singing with my father, who had (has) the most beautiful, Frank Sinatra’ish voice. I sometimes wonder what his life might have been like if he’d been discovered singing as a teenager, rather than meeting my mom and going on to be a hard-working father of six. Some of my best memories of my childhood are of singing with him, and I was doing the old standards from the time I was about five years old.

A few years ago for Christmas, I gathered up all my dad’s old reel-to-reel tapes, on which he’d recorded not only a lot of our singing but parties and conversations from the 60’s-70’s and had them converted into digital files. I burned cd’s for everyone in my family, made up a notebook and gave them to my father and my siblings for Christmas. They were a BIG hit. And I was thinking about those–how important and special they were to everyone–and came up with another idea for this holiday season. We’re watching our pennies right now, so we’re not going to buy gifts for everyone, but I am working on a project. I pulled out those old tapes and grabbed the Christmas songs off them. I then asked my siblings and my father & his wife to all record a Christmas song or two and send it to me. They were all willing, and I now have a collection of about 15 songs–old and new, classics and modern, solos and group numbers. I have made a pretty label and cover jacket and will burn copies of the entire “Now That’s What I Call A Smith Family Christmas” CD’s for everyone in time for Christmas day.

I am super excited about this project, and am so proud of the amazingly talented–and big-hearted, easy-going family I have.

In case you want to step back into 1972 with me…here’s my dad, my sisters and me singing The Christmas Song.

Ray and girls singing The Christmas Song

13 thoughts on “Holiday Project

What wonderful memories and gift!

BJ says:

What a great thing to do! I have been wanting to get family reel video tapes converted to DVD. You inspired me to get started!

cates says:

That is such a thoughtful gift… and your dad’s voice [and the rest of you] is just wonderful.. Thanks for sharing..

That sounds like a pretty awesome project Les! A great tradition to have for your girls. Let me know the show dates ok?

What a cool idea Leslie!!! These are the kind of priceless gifts that every family should have. :Han1:

What a wonderful idea. I’m sure everyone will love the CD’s. I didn’t get the chance to listen but will do that later. Thanks for sharing with us.

:santalights: :meepcold: After being close to 70 yesterday it never got out of the low 50’s today & it is clouding over for a storm. I can sure feel the difference!!

:reindeer: :lights: :elf:

:Han1:

MaryC says:

The gift you are giving is priceless – thanks for sharing the song!

Leslie, thanks for sharing this with us. It was beautiful. Made me miss my Dad & I got a little misty eyed! Your Dad has a beautiful voice. It was charming when you & your sisters chimed in. Again thanks.

:bigxmas: