Goodbye, Twinkie?

Posted by at Nov 21, 2012 6:00 am

I’m sure you all know that Hostess may or may not go out of business and Twinkies might or might not be made anymore. I laughed when I went to the grocery store on Sunday and all the Hostess cakes were gone.

On the one hand, it’s sad because Twinkies were part of my childhood. My nieces, who are now going to be nine, have been called the “Twinkies,” since their birth (probably so we don’t have to try and tell them apart, which is impossible!)…and in a few short years, people won’t understand why we call them Twinkies. Okay, people under 10 won’t understand.

But on the other hand, it really doesn’t affect my life. My daughter has never, to my knowledge, eaten a Twinkie. I never bought them. Now don’t go thinking we’re health food nuts around here…we’re just Little Debbie people. Check my pantry and you will find Little Debbie brownies, oatmeal creme cakes, and…if I’m lucky…nutter butter bars. And Swiss Rolls. (Actually, I’ve banned the last two from the house because I know when they come in, I’m at an all-time nutritional low because I cannot resist them.)

Anyway, there are always things from our childhoods that we can’t get anymore and that we remember fondly. Mine is Adam’s Sour gum. Does anyone remember that? I think it might have come in different flavors, but I only wanted the orange. This is way before sour candies became the “in” thing…I was nuts for them.

What candy/snack/indulgence do you remember from the “old days” that you can’t find anymore? Or if you can find it, that you refuse to eat because now you know better, LOL?

BTW, I’ve looked everywhere for Adam’s Sour…not even Dylan’s Candy Bar in New York didn’t have it. But I keep looking!

13 thoughts on “Goodbye, Twinkie?

Our family loves Ho Ho’s and chocolate Hostess Cupcakes!

As for candy from my childhood….Zots. They were sweet, hard candy but in the middle they had this powdery substance that when it combines with your spit it was really sour. The game was always who could keep it in their mouth the longest.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yay for Little Debbie! (She makes a better equivalent to the Twinkie anyway, imo.) I will miss Hostess Raspberry Zingers, though. And Suzi Qs. If I’m lucky, good ol’ Debbie will create her own versions of those, too.

One thing I remember from when I was younger that they discontinued is ChocoMalt Chip Ice Cream. I don’t even remember who made it, but I remember when they discontinued it. =o(

Oh my gosh, I forgot about Suzi Q’s. I remember a typical trip home from school with this one. There was a little hostess outlet near my train station and I would get off the bus one stop earlier just so I could go there. Everything was 5 cents. I bought twinkies, Suzi Q’s, chocodiles, hostess cupcakes, nutty bars and bread. I loved that store. The bread was for my mom. I had to eat all that before getting home, so I walked two blocks to the train station while I ate it all…lol! Hey, I got the exercise in to burn some if those calories.

Peace and live,

cates says:

Hostess cupcakes.. which I have indulged in as an adult.. they just don’t taste the same. I read somewhere [and it was probably the first time they filed for bankruptcy] that the original product had a shelf-life of about 2 weeks.. then they were pulled [like bread still is today]… the shelf-life is considerably longer today.. so what additatives & preservatives have been introduced… Lots of copycat receipes available online for the diehards…

Once they stopped using hydrogenated oils in the goodies, the flavor changed. Oreos don’t taste like they did when I was a kid. I did eat Twinkies as a kid, but preferred Ding Dongs. Loved the cake covered in chocolate. Haven’t had one in years but sure looked for them last week.

Mostif the candy I loved growing up is still around. Love all the snacks you mentioned, but I love both Hostess and Little Debbie. My faves of all time, Nutty Bars. I was introduced to twinkles when I came to America in the 80s, and we had an intense love affair for the longest time. Then one day, I tried them again after a brief hiatus, when they made banana flavoured twinkies, and wondered why I loved them so much. It had to have been the creme filling. Every now and then I pick one up. I still love the Hostess cupcakes with the orangey yellow frosting though. Oh, I need one now. Must pick some up when I go to the store. I might even grab a Nutty Bar too. Thanks Jules! The trip down memory lane was great.

Sandyg265 says:

When I was a kid we used to get Burry’s chocolate chip cookies. Sadly they stopped making them years ago and I’ve never found another packaged chocolate chip cookie that I like.

For those die hard Hostess people, the snacks aren’t going away. My husband, who is a business guy, confirmed what I suspected, it was a threat to get the unions to talk (that was the main reason they were filing, they couldn’t reach an agreement with the union). Worst case, is that they go out of business and then as part of them going out of business, they sell the recipe to another company (which typically happens). So all of the people who ran out to get Hostess products, will have done so for naught.

MaryC says:

My favorites were the Hostess snoballs and orange cupcakes when I was growing up.-

I don’t know if this is the product you’re looking for, but candydirect.com sells Adams Gum in Sour Apple and Sour Cherry.

I want my Ho-ho’s damn it.

:rotfl1: I like clak bars, but can not find them very offen. Like hardly every

Hi, Left the R out of Clark bar

Laurie P says:

I miss Cracker Jacks that came with REAL prizes not these silly stickers they have now.