Fun Girly Stuff

Posted by at Nov 12, 2012 6:00 am

I have two daughters, both of whom are NOT girly-girls.  They don’t do make-up.  They don’t do dresses and they hate shopping.  They don’t do fancy hair.  And they never paint their nails.  As a mom who LOVES that girly stuff, it’s kind of a bummer that I have to do it all by myself.  But this past week I was able to visit a very good friend of mine who lives in South Carolina, and her and her daughter LOVE the girly stuff!

One night, we decided to do our nails — and not just paint them with nail polish.  No, we decided to go all out and do something different and fun and put a leopard print design on our nails (I LOVE anything leopard print!).  We bought Sally Hansen’s Salon Effects Nail Polish Strips, the ones that have the leopard print and we spent the evening putting them on our nails.  Actually, it didn’t take long at all to do it, and the end was result was SO cool! Even better, it’s been over a week and they’re still on!

HERE ARE THE END RESULTS — COOL, YES?

AND HERE ARE SOME OTHER PATTERNS THEY OFFER:

So, are you a girly-girl? Do you love all the hair/shopping/nails thing? And have you ever tried these new patterned nail strips? If not, I highly recommend them!

17 thoughts on “Fun Girly Stuff

Eileen R says:

never have been a girly girl and I don’t think I am going to change. Keep my nails short for work because I type too much. They would just get in the way. Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate nice manicures because the girls at work get really nice ones. Come summertime I do pedicures and splash on color. LOL

I’m not really a girly-girl either. I only go shopping if I’m in the mood to look for stuff. Not a big fan of going to the mall just to be at the mall. Now a bookstore is a whole other answer…I do however love getting pedicures. Don’t do manicures since my nails are so short and I can’t seem to break the habit of biting my nails. For me a spa pedi is my idea of a heavenly treat.

So not a girly-girl. I just got my hair cut yesterday for the first time in 18 months…and only then because Hubs shoved me out the door and said “The new Great Clips opened and haircuts are $5.99 for a limited time. Do something.”

HAHAHA

Nicole M. says:

I am not an over-the-top girly-girl. I despise clothes shopping and going to the mall. I never do anything with my hair, unless I cut it for charity. I love the idea of makeup, but actually wearing it is another story. Don’t get me wrong, I love to go all out for a special occasion, it has just been too long since there was something for me to get dressed up for. However painting my nails is something I have always loved to do, I just color coordinate with holidays, and sports teams. :) I used to treat myself to pedicures, but now everything is do-it-at-home. I will have to try out the nail strips one day. Thanks for the tip! Lastly, heels of at least 4 inches are a day-to-day shoe, 5&1/2 inches are for going out. I have a leopard print 6 inch heel too, but haven’t been able to wear them anywhere outside of the house. So I guess I have a bit more girly-girl in me than I thought. :winking:
    Happy Monday Everyone!
    :flag:

Beth says:

Maybe your daughters were supposed to be mine! I’ve never worn makeup, never had a mani or pedi, dress in comfortable clothes and haven’t worn heels in over 20 years. Life is too short to worry about having the latest styles. BTW, with the money saved, I travel overseas at least once a year and enjoy vacations.

Laney4 says:

Like the others, I too am not a girly-girl.
    Only wore skirts in the seventies/eighties to work because I could never buy dress pants long enough. Found a place 2 hours away in the nineties, so now I have several pair of dress pants I wear instead. Skirts made me look shorter when I was young; now that I am older and heavier, I wear dresses to make myself appear slimmer instead; it’s a vicious circle.
    Wear runners with orthotics most of the time. When I DO need to wear a heel for a few hours (like a visitation/funeral), I now go back to my shoes from 1980 (that have been resoled many many times), as they are the only pair I own that are “comfy” (as far as comfy goes in a heel).
    Have never worn nail polish. The only makeup I wear is lip gloss, which I often put on my cheeks/forehead/etc. to give my face colour, but only for special occasions. I used to wear eye shadow to work in the seventies; looked horrid so I quit (but bet I could find some of it in a box today, as I kept it for Halloween, etc. – yes, I know I should throw it out).
    The only shopping I do is for groceries. I enjoy buying things on sale and using a coupon at the same time, but I could live without the shopping trips if we could live without food, etc.

These days I’m not much of a girly-girl. When I was still working way back in the 90’s I stopped wearing make up because it gave me a little more time in the morning to get out for a walk before work. It just sort of evolved over time! The last time I wore heels I got cramps in my feet…no more heels! I want comfy shoes, comfy clothes but I do still like to look somewhat decent out in public!! My priority is staying healthy for as long as possible. I do love to shop but they do not make a lot of styles for the “older” generation. Shopping is sometimes much easier online than actually going to stores. I have some tried & true places I’ve done business with before there was online shopping. I still get a few catalogs, fun to browse through but if I buy it is online!! Budget, of course, enters into it all. :D

I’m glad you had fun with a friend. The nails look good. Thanks for sharing.

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Glittergirl says:

I was more of a girly-girl when I was younger…BUT I am very much a “Glitter-girl” these days. I use the bling as my “anti-depressant” devise. I have glitter and decals on my gel-finger nails, glittery lapel pins on all my blazers/jackets and because I wear a medical ID bracelet I made it glittery as well. I make interchangeable bracelets to connect with the Medical ID tag and they go with each outfit each day. I usually wear multiple bracelets on that wrist. My name is difficult to remember but they always remember me from the Glitter, lol. Life is short so I look for joy where I can find it :bananaangel:

:cheer: I am obsessed with nail polish! My hubby finally took my nail polish drawer (yes, I have that much!) and counted them. At the time I had 103 bottles. I have 3 teenage daughters. All 3 love doing their nails but only one of them loves to shop, #3. When her and I go shopping it is an all day affair. #1 will only shop if she needs something and then it won’t last more than an hour or two. #2’s idea of shopping is walking into one store, find what she needs and then wants to leave. Very frustrating if it is something I don’t like. She is almost 18 and has been this way her entire life!

I am a little bit girly-girl. :batteeyes: I have acrylic nails so I get to have my pampering every couple of weeks. I also have my hair weaved every so often but that is mainly to hide those pesky little silver hairs that keep creeping in. I had my first pedi this year and for the life of me can’t figure out why I waited so long. It was wonderful.
    You won’t usually find me out of the house without some makeup on. If I don’t wear at least mascara, my eyes just blend in with everything else. So mascara and eyeliner are a basic must if I’m leaving the house, although I have ventured out bare faced once or twice and didn’t cause any accidents.
    Dresses and heels are a thing of the past for me. Pants and low heels or flats are the norm especially after 3 knee surgeries. *sigh* My daughter has the cutest shoes that I would break my neck falling if I tried to wear anything that tall.

I didn’t use to be ‘girly’ , but I have been lately. Nothing too out of the ordinary…fakey eyelashes and spa type stuff (I’ve loved pedis for years). I think it’s reactionary because my boys are getting older, so I have more time to focus on me. Whyever, my husband isn’t complaining.

Oddly enough, I get my nails done every week and my pedicure every month, yet if I put on more than mascara, it’s dressing up. Hate to wear dress/skirts (except sometimes in the summer) but love heels. I love to go clothes shopping (not that I will ever really need to in my life again) and have a huge collection of shoes and purses.

And tools. I’m also a tomboy/geeky/gadget person- I drive, maintain and do everything on our motorhome. I do all the yard work. Design and decide on the projects that need doing- new stairs that are handicapped accessible- I designed them. Gazebo in the back? Mine. The garden that I had built that sent my neighbor who is an engineer over to find out where I got the plans? Amazed when I told him “my head”.

I’m one of those women who is well known at their comic book store and still gets jaws dropping when I walk in.

And my daughter is cut from the same bolt as me.

I love it!!!!!!!

Beth Kaake says:

I am a girly girl! I do my hair, I wear make-up and… I NEVER go anywhere with naked toes (unpolished toe nails) and I have long polished nails. And I do all tnis for…. ME!!! I have polished the teeny tiny toes nails of all my granddaughters and to this day the 18 year old has me polish her nails unless she is going with me to the nail salon. I can do my own but I prefer the girl ritual of a salon. I will, however, try the Press on Polish. This whole conversation made me fell good. Thanks!

Donna says:

I get them done and have them put on a design mostly lines or a flower I love desins on my nails

Melody May says:

I LOVE those things. I’m so glad Sally Hansen has made them. A few years ago Avon use to make something similar. However, they weren’t big seller, because they discontinue them. I super sad when they did. Now they just need to make a pedicure set and I will be in heaven.

:flag: Sorry I don’t do nails and I don’t like to shop ant more. I guess I am showing my age.