Old Friends…

Posted by at Nov 5, 2012 6:00 am

Janelle is off this weekend, on her way home after the RWA board meeting and visiting with an old friend.

This got me to thinking…if I had a chance to visit with someone I’d lost touch with…who would it be?

For me, it would be my grade school best friend, Denise. Denise’s older brother and my brother were in the same grade. We lived a couple of blocks from each other. I’m pretty sure we knew each other since toddler-hood. We went to the same preschool, same kindergarten. We played on the same softball team. We went to all parties together and threw a rocking Halloween party every year of middle school in my grandparent’s garage. We were fairly inseparable for over ten years.

We went to the same high school, but our interests diverged. She started hanging out with the athletes and I was with the music kids. We’ve always remained friendly–she came to my wedding, I went to her grandmother’s funeral. She’s read my books, which is nice because the first book I ever wrote, when I was in the sixth grade, was with her (and our friend, Sharon, who is someone else I’ve lost touch with.)

We run into each other occasionally and though we have a few minutes here and there to talk, it’s never as much as I’d like. I know sometimes people grow apart, but I can’t help but wonder what she’s up to.

She’s the one I’d like to spend time with most, I think.

Of the people I’ve totally lost TRACK of, I do have another friend who hung out with me and Denise. Her name was Lynn. I’m pretty sure she still lives in town, but I have no idea where. The last time I saw her was at our tenth high school reunion. I’d love to know what she’s up to.

And no, neither one of them are on Facebook.

What about you? If you could pick one person from your past to reconnect with, who would it be?

16 thoughts on “Old Friends…

Thanks to Facebook, I’ve been able to connect with everyone from my past that I would want to find! My best friends from college (we all went our separate ways and ended up in 3 different corners of the country). The “one who got away” found me a few years ago on FB, after 20 years of not having a clue where each other were or how we were. I’ve reconnected with old high school friends. I know a lot of people don’t like FB, but I love it because of the re-connections it’s allowed me to make. :heart:

Maybe your friends will join FB someday soon and you can catch up with them, too!!

I’ve connected with many friends from my hometown thanks to Facebook. I’m excited about how I’ve reconnected with some of my friends from college best of all tho.

Julie Leto says:

I don’t know why so many of my old friends are Facebook-resistant. But they are.

I don’t know…a lot of my ‘friends’ I’m not really sure I’d like to catch up with. A couple of my BFFs from high school, although, our paths diverged in high school. I think about them often, though. I just wish my BFF from college didn’t live across the country.

I think people just don’t want their information shared on FB. Zuckerberg keeps changing security settings and I know that irritates me. I can’t keep up sometimes. I just wish he’d leave it alone. I know lots of people who were on FB who have left b/c of how he keeps changing it.

I don’t like how Facebook keeps changing things! I only stay on their for the connections to people. Two of my grand kids are there, a friend in Australia! It is hard to keep up with changes!! :?

cates says:

Someone from my hometown started a FB group called ‘you know you grew up in XX town’… people post pictures and ‘remember when’ there… I’ve found a lot of people via that group… you lose track because people marry, divorce, go by differently spelled names, etc.

One of my friends from just out of high school was a BFF. After her husband passed away some years ago we lost touch. I have no idea where she is. Have tried several times to find her on Facebook but her maiden name was very common. Yes, tried the married name also. I’m not sure why she didn’t keep in touch after the death of her husband. I didn’t find out he passed away until about 6 months later. Not sure if that has anything to do with loosing touch. Maybe someday. I’m not that hard to find so I think she doesn’t want to be found. Would love to know she is doing okay. She has not had an easy life in some respects but she is strong & has a strong faith. Then there is an old boyfriend that I would like to know about!!! :batteeyes:

Interesting subject. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Alina D says:

I have a group of girlfriends that I would love to be able to see more. We have all been friends since elementary school. Most of them still live in California where we grew up but myslef and one other have moved to different states. I would love to be able to get together with them even if it was just for a weekend and hang out and catch up. We all keep in touch on fb, which is nice, but its not the same as being together. But it has been nice to keep track of weddings and kids and things like that.

Nicole M. says:

A couple of months ago, I had a childhood friend find me on Facebook. She and I lived in the same neighborhood and were in the same preschool-2nd grade classes. Then she moved, but we later ended up in High School together. Life divided us up again after graduation and I hadn’t heard from her until earlier this year. We both had difficult pasts (different circumstances) but I was thrilled to hear she had married a wonderful man and they just had a son. Love gave her a happiness that she didn’t have before and I couldn’t be more excited fir her. Hoping one day to feel that kind of joy that she now has as a Mother and a Wife.
    So yes, it seems Facebook has brought most of us closer to our pasts. Happy Monday Everyone!

I moved in the middle of 8th grade so lost track of so many friends. I was “found” by one close friend through facebook which made me very happy!! I would love to find other friends but they seem hidden. Julie thanks for picking up the slack this past week with all that’s been going on with the other Plotmonkeys.

My childhood best friend and I finally reconnected because of facebook. Now we are in daily contact.

I really think i would like to reconnect with one of my old boyfriends. We were always good friends and I would love to know what he’s been up to in the last 20 years.

Laurel N says:

The person I would like to find would have to be looking for me because his name is way too generic.
    Eddie was my buddy, the guy friend who took me to the prom, took me out for my birthday, and included me in family gatherings. I was there for him when he broke up with his girlfriend, and he was there for me when no one from my high school gave me a second look and always made me feel beautiful. He was my roller-skating partner and confidant.
    I hope my daughters have someone like Eddie in their lives – a man who is unfailingly kind and a true gentleman.

Lyn says:

There is noone that I have lost touch with that I would be interested in making contact with – I made the choice a while back that if I lost touch with people then the friendship wasn’t worth keeping.

However, if there was one person that I reconnect with from my past, it would be Mum. She passed away 11 years ago last month, and while I can still talk to her (although I wouldn’t do so in front of people) its not the same as having a conversation with her.

Laurie P says:

Charmaine, she and I went from kindergarten through high school graduation together then lost touch we we both went to college. I’d love to find her again.

Donna says:

I had a best friend in 8th grade I went to a Catholic high school she went to public.. I still miss her she got pregnant in high school and we just lost touch I am sure she got married but have no way to get in touch with her…I smile every time I think about all the fun we had together her name was Diana Burnette.
    I would also like to find this guy I dated in high school I did the high school girl thing afraid to ask for him when you call and hung up….guess his mom gave him H*ll for it and has badmouthed me ever since this was 40 years ago all I want to say is let it go I was a stupid teenage girl that was shy and afraid of your mother!!! LOL Can’t find him either….

Donna

Eileen R says:

I’m not sure that there is anyone I would want to reconnect with from my childhood. Sure I wonder what they may be up to but those days are gone and I have no desire to go back and do any reminiscing. That’s why I’m not on FB. Don’t want to look anyone up and vice versa.