Rollercoasters

Posted by at Sep 3, 2012 6:00 am

When I was in California last month for the RWA National conference, I spent a few hours at Disneyland (With Leslie and others).  We didn’t have a whole lot of time to go on a lot of rides because the lines were so freakin’ long (90 minute wait for a ride, really!?!).  We were able to go on the Mattahorn and Thunder Mountain, which is my all time favorite roller coaster at Disneyland.  I even like Space Mountain, but the ride shut down after we’d stood in line for about 40 minutes (what a waste of time!).

Riding on those two roller coasters made me nostalgic for the bigger and faster roller coasters I used to ride in my youth.  I grew up in Southern California, so heading to Six Flags in Valencia during the summers was a weekly thing.  As a teenager, we had a blast.  And even when my own kids were finally old enough to ride roller coasters, we went on those rides with them, too.

But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve discovered that I can’t ride the roller coasters with really steep drops, because those drops, on the way down, literally take my breath away and I can’t breathe.  It makes my chest hurt because of that initial fear of falling, and my heart races so fast that it scares me, LOL.

But I do miss the days of feeling fearless and riding those roller coasters that pumped up my adrenaline.  How about you?  Do you like roller coasters or not?  Do you still ride them?  Do you have a favorite roller coaster at a certain theme park that you love?

31 thoughts on “Rollercoasters

Nicole M. says:

:ohno: I am terrified of heights and I despise roller coasters. :hide: My friend took me with her to one of her school’s field trips to a theme park. She convinced me to get on a roller coaster. As it started getting close to the peak where it would start to come down, it stopped. For twenty minutes we were stuck above the tops of the trees. She and her friends laughing while I was screaming and crying. That was over ten years ago, and I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

Happy Labor Day Monday Everyone!!! :flag:

Morning Janelle, I love roller coasters and I remember how good I felt riding them when I was younger. Going to a Great Adventure or Six Flags was not part of my growing up, but I went to Coney Island in Brooklyn, NY a few times. When I got older and started working with middle schoolers we took numerous trips to Six Flags, where I rode the Superman ride, which is no longer there quite a lot. Some rides I went on alot like that one and Batman. I also rode mind eraser ONCE, and never again will I ride that one. Scared me silly! I haven’t been to a park recently, and I wish I had the chance to go to Disneyland while at Nationals. Maybe next time.

:flag: Happy Labor Day!

I live in the Cleveland, OH area, a little over 1 hour away from Sandusky, OH which is where Cedar Point is. This amusement park has been named the Best Amusement Park in the US for I believe the past 14 years. They have 17 different roller coasters alone!

In my younger days I would ride all of them. As I get closer to 50 I’m down to just 2…Millennium Force and Raptor. The others are too shaky for me now. I wish I could go back to being in my 20’s just on the day we go to Cedar Point!

We still go every year with the kids. This year my hubby and my 17 yr old daughter decided they wanted to be Ride Warriors, which means they ride every roller coaster in the park! They were successful, although the hubby paid for it the next day! His 48 yr old body was very sore the next day!

Nauseaus just looking at those pics, LOL! Went all the time when I was little. Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland, in NY!

Tammy Y says:

I grew up in Southern California too and loved Magic Mountain. I love roller coasters. We went back to California for our vacation this summer and went to Magic Mountain in August. It was so hot and so many hills. We only rode the “moderate thrill rides” Colossus is still my favorite roller coaster but these new coasters are so tall and scary- we avoided them.

I can’t do the big coasters anymore. Thunder Mountain is about the wildest that I can handle. Last time I tried Space Mountain my stomach was in knots for an hour afterwards. Pretty soon it will only be Mr Toads Wild Ride.

I lover roller coasters. I’ve loved thm even before I was big enough to ride them. Learned early to wear running shoes to add extra inches.

I love Space Mountain, Matterhorn, and Thunder Mountain. I have a love/hate thing with California Screamin’ (my oldest son loves it, has no fear and does a cute scream on it—nothing like having a dude with autism doing his ‘I think this is socially acceptable screams’). I refuse to do the ride in Critter Country anymore I used to love roller coaster and then I had kids. I am not a fan of wooden coasters anymore. They hurt my jaw with all of the ricketyness.

:D 8) It has been a long time since I’ve been to an amusement park to ride a roller coaster. When I was younger I did not like roller coasters then Great American opened in the bay area when I was in my 30’s! My husband, now ex, & my brother talked me into riding one on a visit to Great America! The first ride I kept my eyes shut & screamed, got off, then went around to get right back on!!! I was hooked. :applause: Now I am 70+ but I’d ride one if I got the chance!! That said there are some of the coaster I like but not all of them.

What a fun subject for the day, Janelle. A good way to celebrate Labor Day! :thumbsup:

Holly says:

I grew up riding The Beast and The Racer at Paramount’s Kings Island in Ohio. Now the hubby & I take our kids. That’s the best fun.

Phyllis says:

Me too!

I grew up in SW Ohio, a couple of hours from King’s Island. Biggest, Baddest, Longest, Fastest roller coaster in the world (at the time)! OK, so I wouldn’t ride anything that went upside down until I was bout 18, but then enjoyed them for a few years. Then I got older and it just wasn’t worth the expense.

And now that my kids might like to go to amusement parks, I have back and neck problems and I can’t ride things. And they’re still just so dang expensive!

Barbara Elness says:

I love roller coasters and I always have. My son was fearful when he was young, I was a bit disappointed, but he finally decided he liked them, and now he works at an amusement park. :D One of my favorite coasters is Ghost Rider at Knott’s Berry Farm in California, but I haven’t been there for quite some time. I grew up in Southern California and now I live in Orlando, where there’s lots of amusement parks to choose from. I go to all of them as often as I can and ride the coasters. I can’t really choose a favorite, I like them all, but Manta at SeaWorld Orlando is pretty cool. By the way, I’m 60 years old, so I don’t think I’m going to get over my love of coasters. :D

I used to love roller coasters!!! The bigger, the scarier, the faster, the better! But now, I can’t do it! Fear sets in, my breath is caught in my throat, I”m scared of falling out, . . . I really don’t understand how that happened. I’m just glad my kids still have that love.

I love roller coasters!! I think that my all time favorite coaster would have to be at the Santa Cruz Broadwalk. The Giant Dipper is a wooden coaster that open there in 1924. Talk about freaky fast. It is a must ride.

Laurie P says:

Love them and still ride them. But sadly by myself since hubby has a heart condition and can’t.

Anita L says:

I Love roller coasters and always have but as I get older I am more picky about where I will ride one. I will ride them at Disney or six flags but any place smaller and I am worried about who put them together so wont ride. I cant ride ferris wheels anymore at all, too scary!

Krystal B. says:

Ohhhh, Six Flags in Valencia is my favorite theme park. I love Tatsu and Goliath hands down. I love roller coasters!

Tina Rucci says:

Oh, Janelle! I loved roller coasters! I still do, but I’m not aloud to ride them anymore. I have not been on one in over twelve years, since my first back operation. And boy, do I miss them. :(

Marcelle Cole says:

I don’t care what other ride a park may have; I stand in line for the roller coaster. I LOVE roller coasters! The bigger, longer faster, higher the better. The one I rode as a child at Fair Park here in Nashville started my thrill seeking heart on it’s wayward path and I balame it for all the high Jinks I’ve gotten myself into even to the point of Jump School in the Army.

Suzy R. says:

I use to love riding the roller coasters when younger, growing up around Chicago my firts roller coaster was called the ‘Bobs’ at an amusement park called Riverview, long gone now. Six Flags has a few good ones, but I can’t take the really steep ones anymore…To be young and carefree again. :thankyou:

sharlene Wegner says:

I got sick on a ferris wheel as a kid & that pretty much killed “scary rides” for me! I get motion sickness anyway. However, I do love Disney! There are so many family rides that are unique. I haven’t been to Disneyland, but I’ve been to Walt Disney World in Florida many times. It’s been 5 years & I miss it!

Whether enjoying a little league, high school, college or major league baseball game, fans should remember these important items before leaving for the ballpark.
    The mini spy pen camera is available in 4GB, 8GB and 16 GB for regular
    use as per requirement of the customer. Make sure you get a decent
    resolution LCD with any camera in this category.

Here is my webpage; pirates of the caribbean 3

In fact, it is within the price range that is estimated for other impressive tablets that can be found in the
    market. As you progress to the next higher level, the game becomes tougher.
    This tablet is more attractive and charming for internet users and enjoy everywhere with your family and friends.