My Soaps are Gone – The End of an Era

Posted by at Sep 22, 2011 6:00 am

On Friday we say goodbye to an institution, ALL MY CHILDREN, an ABC soap opera which has been on the air since 1970. From my time here, you know how long I’ve been an ABC soap fan. I lose ONE LIFE TO LIVE in January. I have no words that aren’t angry and upset, hurt and bitter. ABC has not only betrayed its viewers who have been watching forever, made these characters a part of their families (as much as book characters are to us), but they have rubbed our faces in their new choice, The Chew, during the last weeks of our beloved soaps. I have the honor of being interviewed by SOAPS IN DEPTH Magazine, the issue on sale October 3rd. I hope to post more about it soon. The soaps mean so much to mean as a person, a mother, a writer (thank you Kelly Ripa who gave my career it’s jump start). I know I’m not the only one mourning the loss.

I feel ABC made a huge error and failed tremendously. I hope the Internet and PROSPECT PARK saves the soaps and revitalizes the genre, much like when the shows went from radio to TV.

Today I hope anyone else feeling as down as I am will come here and talk about their favorite characters, soaps, what the shows mean to them and why, who they love, who they hate, etc. Let’s enjoy it while we still can.

27 thoughts on “My Soaps are Gone – The End of an Era

Kate Angell says:

A very sad day indeed! :boohoo: I’ve watched AMC and OLTL forever. The Soaps were like family. I will miss the shows. I look forward to your interview in Soaps in Depth.

My mom was a DOOL watcher, so that’s what I grew up on, along with Another World and GH. I found AMC and OLTL in college thanks to my big sis in my sorority. We would all pile on the sofa in the common area and watch together after lunch. Heck, we scheduled classes around AMC.

I haven’t been as great about watching in the last few years. Do catch the marathons on Soapnet some weekends, but not every weekend.

I loved “Another World”…that’s what I grew up on, too. DOOL is not the same (they kind of lost me when they buried Carly alive, what the heck?). My mom would tell you all about AW and how much she loved it!

Jessica Park says:

:ohno: I haven’t watched soaps in years but I feel so badly for everyone that does. It’s been a staple in day time TV forever and I know how much the characters become your friends! And hope no one watches the new shoes that are on and that ABC realizes it was a mistake. :crying:

I really don’t understand the concept of “The Chew”, so if I can’t figure out that (I do have a couple of college degrees, so it’s bad if I can’t figure it out). As I mentioned earlier, I have been enjoying (I don’t watch it every day) “The Doctors”…It’s nice to see Jillian Michaels being…nice…She actually has interesting things to say. I think ABC is making a mistake…just like when they revamped DOOL (I really don’t get it) awhile ago. Oh well, I’ll stick to Anderson and Nate Burkus.

Gail Nichols says:

I loved “Guiding Light” I was sure sorry when it ended. And what did they replace it with a game show.If people weren’t going to watch America’s longest running soap opera,why would we watch a game show instead. What’s tv coming to?

I cried when I watched the end of GL. I’m not sure I can watch the end of AMC. Those were the two that I loved.

I thought I heard that they were not going to cancet them after all. Did they change their minds again?

Denise says:

This is very sad. I have been watching all the ABC soaps since I was a little girl, when I used to run home from school to watch. (That was more than 30 years ago). I remember watching All my Children and wanting to be so elegant like Susan Lucci and I would watch right up until Edge of Night which ended right at dinner time. Now as an adult, I watch with my daughter – and it is something that we love to do together and she loves that I can tell her the background to alot of stories and characters.

Well I taped this weeks episodes of All My Children and I will watch and cry with everyone else. I will miss All My Children and soon One Life to Live.

It wont be the same without them.

Renee Pajda says:

Not only did I lose Guiding Light, but then I turned to As the World Turns and lost that too! Now I’ve turned to Days of Our Lives and have hope that their revamp will keep them going. I don’t think I can take losing another soap!

It has been many years since I watched any of the soaps. For all the fans I’m sorry they are going off the air. For me, The Chew might be interesting. I will watch a couple of episode then decide. The time slot is not one I’m thrilled with but I may be in the minority.

Carly, I’m happy to say I got a copy of Seredipity yesterday. Yea! I am going to have company for a few days so it may take me awhile to get to it. Once I finish what I am reading it is up next. :reading:

Alina D says:

I grew up watching Guilding Light and As The World Turns and I was so sad when they ended them. I never got into any others, partly for fear of more endings and partly because no other couple could replace Josh and Reva(GL) or Jack and Carly(ATWT). Now I just read alot more and write alot more.

Julie Leto says:

I started watching AMC years and years ago–either right before Erica’s first marriage or shortly thereafter. I stopped watching since I started homeschooling, but have been watching as much of the last episodes as I can. I’m most sad not for the fans, but for the actors, who are hugely talented and who work so damned hard, even when the scripts are lame or their characters are made to do all the wrong things, their talent made it all fun.

I have nothing against The Chew…I just wish they would have put it on without having to destroy the institution of the soap opera–especially AMC. They could have revamped and reinvented and they didn’t and that’s an insult to their loyal viewership.

Ellen says:

I was always a fan of Guiding Light and As the World Turns. Watched them with my Mom and sisters. Watched the ABC soaps occasionally after I got married so I would have something light to discuss with my Mother-in-law. (She loved AMC and OLTL.) Now, I’ve lost GL and ATWT, and I had started watching AMC and OLTL on a regular basis. (Everyone said adopt a new soap, you’ll feel better.) Not feeling so great right now. I refuse to watch the game show they replaced GL with, and don’t care for “The Talk” either. Won’t be watching the Chew, will probably continue taping Nate Berkus. Longtime fans of the ABC soaps, you have my sympathy.

Guiding Light. Ryan’s Hope. As The World Turns. One Life to Live. All My Children.

Gone.

No wonder I quit watching daytime tv and went back to work.

My favourite soap of all time was Ryan’s Hope. Was very sad when that ended in the late 80s. Then I moved on to Another World and General hospital. I actually loved watching One Life To Live as well. My favourite part of watching them was the family aspect of the show. The family dynamics in each just filled a void in me. I stopped watching the shows when they changed to a more fatty plot and dialogue seem to go down he drain. I tried to keep it up, but I really missed my old I do feel sad for all those out there who continued o tune in. Carly, I do hope the cable stations help to revive our favourites. Sending you cyberhugs.

Kathleen O says:

AMC was my grandmother’s fav soap… But mine is OLTL and General Hospital.. So thank god I will still have this to watch…

I can remember back when my brother and his friends, they are three years older than me, would come in and watch these three soaps with my gran…She used to love that.. I wonder if my brother remembers doing that. But they only did it in the summer, for of course we were all in school..

At least i have a few more months of OLTL… and General Hospital I hope forever.

Marika Weber says:

My mother used to watch All My Children when I was growing up. I was more into General Hospital when the show was actually about the hospital and not Sonny and the mob. Sorry ABC but you lost a viewer when you shoved him down our throats. That said, I will miss Erica, Jack and everyone else on All My Children. I haven’t watched it in years but I mourn the loss just the same.

OLTL…wow Dorian, Kelly, the Buchanans…shoot, I could go on but its too painful. I worshipped that show when I wasn’t working.

My grandfather, up until his dying day, never missed Guiding Light in the afternoon. The world stopped when Reva was on the television.

I think that ABC has done a great disservice to yall the soap fans out there that have watched for decades. Do we really need another talk show? :loser:

Congratulations on being interviewed. Let us know what issue so we can buy it and read it.

Tara says:

I used to watch all the ABC soaps in the 80’s & 90’s loved them. I got away from them in the last few years ( I find I can get alot more done if I don’t watch) but yes they were like family and always made you feel better when you were laying on the couch watching when your sick. Very sad to see them go. I heard they will be back on the internet, not the same but better then being lost forever.

Wow, I had no idea. I grew up watching ABC soaps – with AMC quite literally since we were born the same year. Now I feel old and sad.

Kathleen Richter says:

I watched DAYS OF OUR LIVES almost since it began. I stopped watching it two years ago, I think because Marlena and John were let go. Also, tired of couples changing partners so much. Seems it was the only storyline writers could come up with. I also watched SUNSET BEACH for the whole time it was on (maybe 2 years). Was sad to see it end.

Linda F says:

I have watched AMC from almost the beginning and OLTL for a very long time. I am so sad and angry that ABC has cancelled my soaps. I refuse to watch anything that ABC puts on the daytime and might start watching Y&R since a lot of the former AMC stars are now on that show. I hope The C fails miserably. How can ABC hurt us even more by putting those promos on during our beloved soaps. They must be very desperate and obviously do not care about the soap opera fans feelings. My DVR broke this week so I have not seen the show. I am taping the week on SoapNet on Monday morning (in fact on 2 DVRs so I don’t miss it) and may have to watch it again and again. I used to be a loyal ABC viewer but no more. After Desperate Housewives is done, I am done with ABC.
    At least there are a few more months of OLTL but then I have to go through the pain all over again.
    Brooke has always been my favorite character. I could identify with her and her character joined the show when I was in college. I felt like we grew up together.
    I could keep writing but I am getting sadder and the tears are coming. A big part of my family will no longer be around. So sad. That’s another reason why I feel it is important to support the reamining soaps so that they too don’t disappear.

รับทำ seo, seo…

[...]My Soaps are Gone – The End of an Era | Plot Monkeys[...]…

Why not check out our candles for sale…

[...]My Soaps are Gone – The End of an Era | Plot Monkeys[...]…