ONE THING with Louisa Edwards!

Posted by at Sep 25, 2010 6:00 am

I’m so excited that the very fabulous, LOUISA EDWARDS, the daring and darling author of sexy, contemporary romances set around the world of restaurants and celebrity chefs has agreed to join us today! I absolutely love her books, even if they do make me very hungry! Louisa has been in publishing for a while…first as an editor, then as an author. In other words, she’s knows what she’s talking about! So Louisa…please tell us, WHAT IS THE ONE THING YOU KNOW NOW THAT YOU WISHED YOU’D KNOWN THEN?

Thanks to Julie and the other Plot Monkeys for having me! I love this blog.

I was lucky enough to land a job in publishing right out of college, so in some ways I had a leg up already by the time my first book came out a year ago. Today, three books later, I sometimes wonder if I actually know less now than I did then!

It’s partly that the industry is forever in flux, never static. People who bemoan the swiftly changing tides of modern publishing, and long for the good old days, should go back and read some first person accounts of those good old days. It’s always been a difficult, wacky, irrational, reactionary thrill ride of a business. That’s what we love about it! And hate, too, sometimes. I do my best to accept that I’ll never understand it completely—I sleep better that way.

There are a few things I’ve learned, however. And if I could go back and be told One Thing about this business before starting out, I’d like someone to let me know up front how incredibly important it is, in publishing more than any other business, to have good friends.

I know, no brainer, right? Of course, friends are wonderful things to have around—to laugh with, to toast the highs and commiserate over the lows. But in the ever-shifting world of publishing, friendships with other writers, who understand intimately what you’re going through, can be the solid center around which you revolve.

So that’s the advice I’d give my pre-published self. Find one or two, or even a circle, of trusted confidantes. They’re your vault. Your sounding board. Your judgment-free zone. Your partners in crime. Your backup. Your cheerleaders. Your personal board of trustees.

They are your friends. Treasure them.

Truer words were never spoken, Louisa! And readers, check out Louisa’s new book, which is in stores now!

He has a hungry mind.

Bad-boy chef Wes Murphy dreads his final semester cooking class—Food Chemistry 101—until he meets the new substitute teacher. Dr. Rosemary Wilkins is a feast for the eyes, though her approach to food is strictly academic. So Wes decides to rattle her Bunsen burner by asking for her hands-on advice—on aphrodisiacs . . .

She’s got love down to a science.

Rosemary is a little wary about working with Wes, whose casual flirtations leave her hot under the collar. But once they begin testing the love-enhancing power of chocolate, oysters, and strawberries, it becomes scientifically evident that the brainy science nerd and the boyish chef have some major chemistry together—and it’s delicious . . .

Would you like a chance to win a backlist book from Louisa? Leave a comment! (US shipping only!)

If you’ve missed any previous ONE THING features, check them out here!

64 thoughts on “ONE THING with Louisa Edwards!

I like her advice- and not just for those in the publishing world. It works for any type of career- having friends who know what you are talking about, helping when needed and the all important networking. Especially today.

And you Monkeys’ got it right a long time ago. A group blog as opposed to an individual one, where everyone can get together and share. Trendsetters that you are!!

Maureen says:

Congratulations on all your success Louisa and I think it’s great advice for everyone.

Diana D says:

Another book to add to my list!

Ellen says:

Great advice for everyone. A copy of Just One Taste is waiting for me when I finish today’s housework. I can hardly wait….

Lisa D says:

I’m half way through JOK right now, and it’s fabulous. “)

Laurie G says:

Friends are always to be treasured!

I remember an old saying about friends:

Make new friends but keep the old,
    Some are silver, some are gold.

So true in every aspect of our lives!

The PlotMonkeys definitely demonstrate the power of friends and
    support of friendships!

I haven’t read your books yet Louisa but I’m going to.

Carly says:

Hi, Louisa. Happy to have you here! A Vault. I love that notion! So true :)

awesome advice and so appropo for anyone.

Silver James says:

Welcome, Louisa. Friends. Yes. Better than chocolate!

Welcome to the jungle, Louisa!!!! It is great to see you here. Friendships are very important, and the unique perspective of writer friends is most helpful when you think you can’t keep going. They have bolstered me up many times. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us today. This is going to be a drive by post. Gotta run, will swing by again later. Have fun with us today, Louisa!

Mary G says:

Hi Louisa
    Great post. I’ve only been part of author chat groups for the last 16 months.
    I went to a RWA Toronto chapter meeting 8 months ago. The biggest surprise I’ve experienced is the amazing support writers give each other. The absence of competition shocked me. At the meeting, signed contracts & signing with an agent got a person a chocolate as did a rejection. It was inspiring.
    I experienced the same thing at Lori Foster’s weekend in Cincy in June.

I know it’s boring LOL, but I’m telling you again, I so loved your books. They are my treasure find of 2010. Continued success.

Mary, sweetie, it’s NEVER boring to hear that you love my books! And I’m sorry I missed you at Lori Foster’s event; I’ve heard wonderful things about it, and hope to go someday.

anne says:

Wonderful post and definitely the best advice. Best wishes for much success and happiness.

Amen, sister. A-freakin-men.

And to quote the inimitable Forrest Gump: “That’s all I got to say ’bout that.” ;)

Leslie says:

Excellent advice, Louisa! I honestly don’t know what I’d get through a day in this business without my writer friends.

Thanks for being here!

Gigi says:

Great advice whether it be in getting published of just is life.
    Get a few good friends that can cheer lead you through the tough times. :threecheers
    Just One Taste sound just wickedly yummy. I have the book on my to order list.

catslady says:

Yes, great advice. I have learned that many a time it’s who you know and the world is getting smaller and smaller. I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about your books and they sound wonderful!

GSM says:

Great post, Louisa. Thanks. I am reminded of the Emilly Dickinson quote, “My friends are my estate.”

Cher Gorman says:

Welcome to the Jungle, Louisa :partygroup:

Writers most definitely need other writer friends, people who understand this crazy business we’ve chosen. I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t log onto my computer everyday or pick up the phone and reach out to friends. They are my vault. I like that word. Kind of like in that movie The Women–“Are we in the vault?”

Thanks again for being here and have a fabulous day. I’m off to see the King Tut exhibit today :cheer:

Cher

Karen B says:

:thumbsup: Just added your books to my Amazon wish list! :flowers4you:

Colleen says:

No matter what, it is always great to have someone to talk things through with… thanks for sharing your post with us!

Philomena says:

Great advice for us all no matter what you do.

Welcome to the jungle Louisa, these three ladies here are your best friends and you can count on them which is very important in the world today in writing and all of life, Good Luck and am wauting next year for books, from all of the Jungle ladies!

Hi Agatha! Nice to see you here. And I agree, the Plot Monkeys are all adorable and delightful people–who happen to write some of my very favorite books out there!

I meant 4 ladies of the Jungle! Sorry!

I meant 4 ladies of the Jungle! Sorry! I said 3 ladies before in error.

Estella says:

Great advice for everyone!

kris says:

I have enjoyed this new series soooo much and can’t wait for Wes’ story! Really, really looking forward to it!

Chelsea B. says:

That is good advice, Louisa!

I love this post!!! And not just because I count you, Louisa, on my shortest of short lists for BFFs. (Yes, gang, this woman picked up the phone in the middle of moving to a new house this week to talk me off a revision ledge where I teetered near death.)

If it weren’t for you and those friends who I count on through thick and thin (and I don’t mean our waistlines and royalty statements) I couldn’t stay in the business!

xoxoxoxo

Anything for you, Rocki! (Yes, it was such a chore to take a break from unpacking boxes and handwashing china to talk to you.) But you were one of the people I was thinking of when I wrote this post…as I’m sure you already know. Yay for the vault!

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for coming to see us in the “Jungle” today. I have read the first two books & have Just One Taste on the TBR shelf waiting for me to grab it! A couple of library books came in & they come first since they have due dates! The books are so good revolving around the world of chefs, eating & restaurants, not to mention romance! :flowers4you: :applause: Keep up the good work.

You are so right even if a person is not a writer friends are so necessary in our lives. I treasure mine. :thumbsup: :inlove:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Everyone. 8) It is hot here in my corner of the world!! :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :dancingmonk:

Michele Benard says:

Great advice for life in general ;)

Joder says:

Great to have you here Louisa! And thank you too for a great post. I enjoy the talking time me and my friends get whenever we go out, the stress relief it brings and the laughter that washes away all my cares. Friendships are the most important aspects to a person’s life. They keep us sane and on an even keel. That’s why I enjoy coming here. It’s a secondary set of friends who are supportive and make me laugh, so thanks for all the fun.

That’s a great point–friendships don’t all have to be in person to be valuable. In fact, all of my closest friends are an email or a phone call away. And a group like this is no less valid and positive, just because it’s online. Go Plot Monkeys!

Pat L. says:

Count me in – I read the first book in the series – loved it.

Lyn says:

More great advice. As others have said, good friends are a must even when you’re not in publishing.
    More books added to my to buy list – blasted thing gets longer quicker than I can keep up.

cories5 says:

Great advice! There have been jobs in which the only reason I showed up at all was my coworkers. Challenging working situations are more bearable with people to commiserate and share with. Plus, through a former coworker, I found another job.

Donna S says:

Great advice and congrats on the new release!!

Nancy Alexander says:

Having even just one true friend is so important in this upside down world now. They help to keep you on track and act as a sounding board for your life in general.
    Congrats on Just One Taste-it’s waiting for me in my ever growing TBR pile.

[...] chance to meet contemporary author, Louisa Edwards, who did a beautiful job in answering our ONE THING question. We’re so fortunate to have her back for a second blog in celebration of her new [...]