Posted by Carly at May 9, 2006 6:00 am
There arenâ€™t enough hours in the day. How many of us feel this way all the time? Iâ€™m raising my hand and waving madly. As women, as mothers, as workers, we are the masters of multitasking. At least I am.
I drive and make lists in my head and hope I donâ€™t forget things when I get home. I make lists and donâ€™t get to half of them. I have a manuscript due July 1 and I have more than 2/3 of it left to write. Why donâ€™t I just sit down and write it then? Letâ€™s look at my week:
1. Monday â€“ 8:30 doctorâ€™s appointment for one child, then cross town to get her eye glasses only to find the place is closed, so drive her to another town where her school is, walk her in, drop her off, go home and then start my own errands. Here I am and itâ€™s 1 PM. Write now, you suggest? Tomorrowâ€™s my blog day, Wednesday I am doing a speech for the Brandeis National Womenâ€™s Committee and need to write/work on it, and I have an interview from a bookstore sitting in my inbox to be answered! Oh and did I mention I agreed to do an essay for Benbella books on the TV show Greyâ€™s Anatomy? I also have to call to have the outdoor water turned back on from the winter, my husbandâ€™s car is dead and heâ€™s at work, need to call to have it jumped but the phone number he left me isnâ€™t working and heâ€™s not answering his cell phone. So Iâ€™m writing my blog, in between doing the text for my new website, in between helping my oldest with a project on the Cold War â€“ do you know what a complicated concept this is for a child whoâ€™s never lived through what seems so normal to me? (the Reagan years, for example). Then the carpooling starts, dinner, â€¦ you get my drift.
2. Tuesday â€“ the local paper is coming to interview me and take photos bright and early! A friend is having a handbag sale at her house and I want to show my support. Maybe Iâ€™ll find Motherâ€™s Day gifts â€“ Oh My! I need Motherâ€™s Day cards and I forgot! If I can wrap that up by 1 PM, I can write until 3 when one daughter has a Lacrosse game, and I have to do the driving to Lacrosse practice. My husband usually can drive home for her. In all likelihood, another day shot!
3. Early carpool for activities for kids before school, then speaking engagement which is in a place Iâ€™m not familiar with and donâ€™t drive well to â€¦ Who knows â€¦ maybe this afternoon will be free enough to work.
4. Thursday â€“ I havenâ€™t exercised since Saturday. BAD! Must fit that in. But this day looks slightly free until the afternoon when one daughter has Lacrosse game, other daughter has dance and then practice for lacrosse .. more driving!!!!! And Friday’s my Jungle Madness day … I need to think of a prize …
5. Friday â€“ Looks free but remember looks can be deceiving. As soon as things appear open, bad things happen â€“ like the 3 stitches in the back of my daughterâ€™s head last Thursday night after she bumped her head â€¦ and theyâ€™re right. Head wounds DO bleed! So although Friday now looks like a good day, Iâ€™m reserving judgment.
And the weekends are never quiet!
I wish I was a chemist. I wish I could create more hours in a day, more time to work. I wish I had the discipline to turn off the addictions Leslie spoke about yesterday. I donâ€™t. But most of all, I wish for the ability to ENJOY what I do have no matter how rushed together it all seems to be sometimes.